Beyer DT250-80/250 vs DT770Pro-80/250
Jul 6, 2006 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FritzS

1000+ Head-Fier
Whats the exprience about Beyer DT250-80 or 250 vs DT770Pro-80 or 250?

Which model sounds better 80 Ohm or 250 Ohm - Beyer tells both are different constructions.

I want a good closed 2nd headphone sounds similar to my Senn HD 600 and available in europe too. AHT like good but not available in europe and I dont want to buy them in japan (shipping and handling, warranty, repair are difficult or expensive).

The answer from beyer - in german:
Die 80- und 250 Ohm Systeme unterscheiden sich neben der Impedanz auch im Aufbau: die bewegte Masse bei den 80 Ohm Systemen ist hoeher, das Membranmaterial, die Anbringung und Laenge der Schwingspule sind unterschiedlich. Klanglich ausgewogener und hoeher aufloesend klingen die 250 Ohm Hoerer, dafuer spielen die niederohmigen beispielsweise an batteriebetriebenen Geraeten (mit niedrigerer Betriebsspannung, Intercom-Geraete, Ipods, etc.) lauter, was bei Ihrem Kopfhoererverstaerker aber sicher keine Rolle spielt.
Der DT250 ist ein sehr neutral klingender, relativ kompakter Hoerer, der DT770Pro ist mechanisch etwas groesser und geht klanglich eher in die Hifi-Richtung mit einer leichten Absenkung der Hochmitten.

Now I translate with Babel Fish too ....
The 80 and 250 ohms of systems differ apart from impedance also in the structure: the moved mass with the 80 ohms systems is higher, the diaphragm material, the mounting and length of the moving coil is different. Sounds (Klanglich) more balanced and more highly solvent sound the 250 ohms of listeners, but the low impedance play for example at battery-operated devices (with lower operating voltage, Intercom devices, Ipods, etc..) louder, which plays no role with your headphone amplifier however reliably. The DT250 is very neutrally more sounding, a relatively compact listener, the DT770Pro is mechanically somewhat larger and sounds (goes klanglich) rather into the Hifi direction with an easy sinking to that higher-middle.

PS: As separate thread now - I dont want hijacking
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 19
Well, if you like the sonic signature of the HD600, then get the DT250. If you want more bass, get the DT770. In EITHER case, go with the 80 ohm versions. They sound better and offer more flexibility with amps/sources, etc.

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Well, if you like the sonic signature of the HD600, then get the DT250. If you want more bass, get the DT770. In EITHER case, go with the 80 ohm versions. They sound better and offer more flexibility with amps/sources, etc.

Half of me wants to give the 250-80 a try. The 770-80 is just so large and unmanagable in public.

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 19
keep in mind that the 250 ohm version of the DT250 isn't supposed to be too much harder to drive than the 80 ohm version, and is reported to have better high end. I had a pair of DT250-250's (though I've never owned the 250-80) and thought they were pretty good amped and unamped.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 19
They're both $150 at BH Photo Video. That's pretty cheap. My only worry is the build quality, as funny as that sounds. I had a friend who got them (on my reccomendation) and two of them had the right can lose sound. Probably isolated, but strange none the less. He's got SR60s now, and they don't show any signs of misuse.

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

From my own experience with the DT250/80 & /250, I'd strongly recommend to go for the latter. As for the DT770, I've only got the Pro/250 and don't like it very much - I'd only recommend it to severe bassheads (to whom I'd also recommend to compare the DT990Pro/250, which sounds less weirdo to my ears...). I like the DT250/250 quite a bit - it's a nice and (for me) comfy closed construction with moderate isolation and fairly smooth and neutral, but not unmusical and analytical sonic presentation including a nice bit of groove. Not really hard to drive despite its impedance, but I'd recommend at least a portable headphone amp or juicy soundcard. Sonically, it's the closed brother of the semi-open DT531.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 19
I wouldn't worry about Beyer build quality. I have owned MANY pairs, and I have flat-out abused my DT250's, and they have never caused me a lick of trouble.

I confess I have never heard the DT250/250. But the DT250/80, which I own, is very good sounding -- very balanced. The DT770/80 is MUCH better sounding than the "legacy" DT770/250 -- much more balanced, although still with powerful strong bass. The 2005/2006 DT770 250 is better than the old one, but not than the DT770/80 Pro, which is still widely available.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about Beyer build quality. I have owned MANY pairs, and I have flat-out abused my DT250's, and they have never caused me a lick of trouble.

I confess I have never heard the DT250/250. But the DT250/80, which I own, is very good sounding -- very balanced. The DT770/80 is MUCH better sounding than the "legacy" DT770/250 -- much more balanced, although still with powerful strong bass. The 2005/2006 DT770 250 is better than the old one, but not than the DT770/80 Pro, which is still widely available.

*clings to his DT770-80s*

You know, had I stumbled upon and bought a DT770-80 and never seen Head-Fi, I would have been totally content for the rest of my days.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
*clings to his DT770-80s*

You know, had I stumbled upon and bought a DT770-80 and never seen Head-Fi, I would have been totally content for the rest of my days.

LOL! I totally agree. But I am totally content with my Darth Beyer DT770/80's. Yeah, I have a bunch of other stuff, but I really only listen to the Darth Beyers.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

LOL! I totally agree. But I am totally content with my Darth Beyer DT770/80's. Yeah, I have a bunch of other stuff, but I really only listen to the Darth Beyers.

When I first started looking, I wanted a closed headphone that did everything well and was durable.

Presto, DT770-80. It's really pretty much exactly what I wanted, it just took me some time to find it. Unfortunately somewhere in between, I developed a taste for more refined gear.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
They're both $150 at BH Photo Video. That's pretty cheap. My only worry is the build quality, as funny as that sounds. I had a friend who got them (on my reccomendation) and two of them had the right can lose sound. Probably isolated, but strange none the less. He's got SR60s now, and they don't show any signs of misuse.

The same thing happened with my Beyerdynamic DT250-80s. Aparrantly Ipods have a problem with burning out the right side, and I always assumed it was the Ipod. I got a new Ipod, and my Beyerdynamics were stolen shortly thereafter.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meugenio
The same thing happened with my Beyerdynamic DT250-80s. Aparrantly Ipods have a problem with burning out the right side, and I always assumed it was the Ipod. I got a new Ipod, and my Beyerdynamics were stolen shortly thereafter.

Never had a problem with mine, but I always use an amp.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meugenio

Huh, weird. I never had a problem with my iPod either, and I know that he was using SR60s with no problems until his 4G iPod died 6 months later.

I have used my DT770s with and without an amp on a 4g, 5g and nano iPod with no problems.

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

The DT770/80 is MUCH better sounding than the "legacy" DT770/250 -- much more balanced, although still with powerful strong bass.

If I understand this right - you mean the premiumline (consumer) DT770/80 or the Pro DT770/80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back