Beyer DT-990-Sennheiser 600-650 Comparison
Jan 28, 2005 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

duetta

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I currently own Beyer DT-990s and Etymotic ER-4s. I love the Etymotics, but now primarily use them when out walking or on the subway or an airplane. They get plenty of use.

At home, the Etymotics are bit problematic since I often have someone coming in, and looking to talk to me, and taking the ER-4s in and out of ears can take its toll.

My Beyer DT-990s have been around since 1993 (I believe that this is the 600 ohm version) - and have been in repair at least once. There's currently a problem with the coiled cord (sound drops out if I stretch it the wrong way) and one of the transducers has trouble with really LOW bass on certain (meditation) CDs. So, they are clearly either on their last legs, or headed back to the factory for a repair.

Truth is, I sometimes prefer the Beyers' warmer sound and impactful bass more than the Etymotics - although I often also prefer the greater detail of the Etymotics. And the Beyer sound a lot closer to the overall tonal presentation of music through my loudspeakers.

Ok, enough preface, now to my question. I've been thinking about moving away from Etymotics at home, and to a traditional headphone - and have been considering the Sennheisers 600s and 650s. From reading hundreds of user reviews and comments, my impression is that the Sennheiser 600 and 650 are somewhat in the same league with regard to tonal balance as the Beyer 990s. Am I correct? Since the Beyers are my primary reference for a traditional headphone, I'd be interested in input on how the performance of the respective Sennheisers might compare/contrast.

My only current amps are a Headsave Classic (with dual 637 op amps) - with which the Beyers sound quite nice to me - and an old original airhead on the PC. Front end a Pioneer DVD player feeding a Bel Canto DAC1. Music is almost entirely classical and Jazz.

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 3
duetta,

Since none of the experts have chimed in, I'll offer my two cents. Caveat: I'm not an audiophile in the hobbyist sense of the term and don't have experience with lots of equipment.

But I did replace Beyer DT-990s with Senn HD580s 10 years ago. I'd used the Beyers quite a bit for about two years through the headphone jack of my preamp and for a couple of weeks with my then-new HeadRoom Home amp while I waited for the Senns to arrive.

I'm not overly sensitive to tonal balance, but I felt the Senns and the Beyers were in the same ballpark - commensurate to what I was used to hearing from my Vandersteen speaker system. But the Senns were preferable in every way that mattered to me - detail, better-defined bass, sense of spaciousness and depth, enhanced sense of "reality" in voices and instruments.

I've not heard the Senn 600s or 650s, but folks here seem to say the overall sonic signature is very similar to the 580s. I've not heard Etys either, but my understanding of the conventional wisdom here on Head-Fi suggests that if you're enjoying their detail, then the Senns should be a worthwhile replacement for the Beyers.

Bottom line, don't be afraid to order the Senns from HeadRoom or Todd and take advantage of their 30 return policy if you're not satisfied.

That's the best I can do... maybe bumping your question back to the top of the queue will get you a more informed reply!

Best,
Beau

Users who are viewing this thread

Back