Beyer DT 880 leather pads: worth it?
Oct 3, 2008 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
Was wondering what the leather pads do for the 880s. is it just a comfort thing? or does it alter the sound quite a bit? I am looking into purchasing them, but if it just a comfort thing, the velour is more than plenty for me.

also, while we are on the topic, how much will recabling these cans with Cardas ala what headroom does help these cans? I love them the way it is, but I am curious as to what this would do for them.

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It changes sound severe.
Velour is more comfortable.

so, how does it change the sound?

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 12
so, do you know how they change? or, are you just trying to up your post count?
wink.gif

im more looking for a how, rather than a yes or no.

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 12
I'm always want to up my post count. At the expense of cluelessies like you. Do you really think i'm going to help you after this pubertal crap from your side?

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Ignore QQQ as he does it to some people. Read some of his statements, for instance about Grado models, and you'll rate his advices pretty quick for yourself.
The leather pads should deliver darker sound with more bass punch. This is what happened between pleather and velour on my HD25-1's but I cannot confirm for the Beyers.

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 12
I have a pair of Manufacture DT880 600Ω's and ordered genuine leather pads at the same time and IMHO, it changes the sound for the worse. You get more low-end, but it's not the low-end you want, it's more of an upper bass/lower mid kinda thing you gain, which just makes them sound boomy and weird.

I sold the leather pads pretty quickly and don't regret it one bit.
Stick with the velour - they're more comfortable and sound a lot better.

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... it changes the sound for the worse. You get more low-end, but it's not the low-end you want, it's more of an upper bass/lower mid kinda thing you gain, which just makes them sound boomy and weird.

I agree. I have some leather pads that I bought for my Darth Beyers which I like(huge brain melting bass). I've tried them on my '03 DT-880 and they totally destroy the 880 magic.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Some people in this thread don't even know that there're closed velours and open velours types of pads. And suggesting what will 880 sound like with leather pads without even listening.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Manufacture DT880 600Ω's and ordered genuine leather pads at the same time and IMHO, it changes the sound for the worse. You get more low-end, but it's not the low-end you want, it's more of an upper bass/lower mid kinda thing you gain, which just makes them sound boomy and weird.

I sold the leather pads pretty quickly and don't regret it one bit.
Stick with the velour - they're more comfortable and sound a lot better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I have some leather pads that I bought for my Darth Beyers which I like(huge brain melting bass). I've tried them on my '03 DT-880 and they totally destroy the 880 magic.

thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif
thats definitely not what im looking for.

btw QQQ, you need to polish up that trolling, it needs some work.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 12
velour all the way man. Feels like clouds on your ears (well...not the water vapor part...guess i should say like soft down pillows or something ha).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back