Beyer DT 770's uncomfortable?
Mar 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Fakeyfakerson

100+ Head-Fier
So everything I read prior to buying my beyer dt 770's was "oh they're the most comfortable headphone evar" or "man it's like wearing super padded ear muffs, they're awesome!" but after having used them for about 3 months now I have to say I'm disappointed
frown.gif

Don't get me wrong, they sound amazing. I went from onboard sound with my hd280's to an Essence STX + the dt 770's and it was night and day. The problem is I wear headphones for 4 hours a day on average, sometimes more, and the beyerdynamics give me headaches after awhile. The problem isn't the earmuffs but the headband. Since the headphones are really heavy compared to most, there's a lot of weight being pressed onto the top of my head, and coupled with the relatively light padding the leather provides it really starts to hurt my head. Even when I adjust so the band is sitting at different spots on my head it's only a matter of time before I feel it starting to throb.

What's weird is that I don't think I've ever seen anyone else complain about that with these phones. I think I have a pretty normal head, not overly huge or anything lol; I wore the hd 280's for hours on end with no problem. The difference between the padding on the two is pretty noticable though, the 280's use a real squishy padded leather band while the dt 770's use a tougher less padded one.

Does anyone have any advice? Did I get a defective unit or something? Am I doing something wrong? Are these headphones and me just not made for each other? I love everything about them aside from this. If there's nothing I can do I think I need to go on the market for new cans.
redface.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi!

I had the same problem with dt770's and they became much more comfortable after I removed a rubber thingie under the padding of the head band.
I don't know what's the purpose of this rubber thingie, but it causes a small bumb in the middle of the headband and removing it should help with headaches.

There was actually another thread a couple of months ago of dt770's causing headache here, but I don't know if he ever tried to remove the rubber thingie and if it helped him.

But try this out, should be very easy and easily reversible mod.
beyersmile.png

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 17
Does your head hurt on the outside or inside? I also got headaches with DT770-80, but that was mostly due to their very intense bass and highs that conspired together to hurt my head.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your head hurt on the outside or inside? I also got headaches with DT770-80, but that was mostly due to their very intense bass and highs that conspired together to hurt my head.

The top of my head, where the headband rests. It happens even when I'm not listening to any music.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beyers are pretty light actually he-5s feel like 2x the weight on my head
smily_headphones1.gif
buy velor buy foam put foam in velor wrap around headband = fixed ^_^

Well, heavy compared to my 280's and my brothers senn hd600's
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, if positioned incorrectly the band does dig into your head. It's absurd. At home, wrap a towel around it. Problem solved.

L3000.gif
is that the only fix? It will look a bit absurd with a towel on my head all day.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 17
While I haven't used the 280s, I have used the 580s (same as the 600s) and found them extremely comfortable, and I'm not the only person here who does as many people here consider them some of the most comfortable headphones available. I personally find them to be about the same as my DT990s. My DT770s are another beast entirely. They have more clamping pressure (for a better seal and improved isolation) on the ears, and are much heavier pushing the headband down on my head. Before I got the DT990s and only had the DT770s I thought they were very light and comfortable, but after getting the DT990s they weren't used for months on end. When I went back to the DT770s I found them to be uncomfortable as well (largely due to the headband pad pushing down too hard), but over time got used to them again so now I can use them for extended periods without discomfort. This may be the same for you, they may become comfortable as you become accustomed to them on your head.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 17
frown.gif
Yea, at first the clamping pressure was a little much, so I broke them in a bit by putting a few books in between the pads at night so it was stretched a little smaller than how it sits on my head. That fixed the clamping problem so I don't even notice it anymore, but now the headband just makes the top of my head ache, and after awhile it makes it sore even after I take them off. It's a shame since I love their sound so much.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 17
Yea, I have that problem as well. If you look at the HD650s, you will even see an indentation in the padding where it would rest at the very top point of the head just so it doesn't apply pressure there. I eventually got used to the 770s weighing down on the top of my head, but now that I use them less, when I do use them it will hurt a bit.

I wonder if wearing a hat of some kind might help.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 17
Well on my head it gets so unbearable after a few hours I have to take them off, and what's the point in headphones if you can't even use them? I guess if there's no fix I'm going to have to go in the market for new ones and sell these
triportsad.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 17
Every once in a while, when I start feeling pressure, I insert my thumbs between my skull and the band and pull up gently. Then I'm fine for the next long while. I will say I've never used them for more than 3 hours or so.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 17
I'll chalk this one up to individual differences.

First off, the Beyer DT770 is very *light* dont let its size fool you, it's actually lighter than my AD700.
I find it very comfy. I have no complaints with its fit.
The pressure it exerts is not on my head, it's on my ears and temples.

If you find the DT770 giving you a headache... maybe it's actually the fatiguing sound that gives you problems, not the physical aspect of headphone itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back