beyer dt 770 pro's vs. denon ah d2000's
Nov 11, 2009 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Fakeyfakerson

100+ Head-Fier
So I was pretty deadset on getting dt 770's off of an ebay reseller for around $170, but Amazon has the d2000's on sale for $220 right now, marked down from $350, which is incredibly tempting. Here's the situation: I won't have an amp for either one, and if I get the dt 770's I can use the extra money to buy a xonar essence STX, while if I buy the d2000's I'll only be able to afford a xonar DX. Given these choices, which would you guys pick? Should I stick with the dt 770-80 pros with the essence STX or the d2000 with the DX?

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fakeyfakerson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was pretty deadset on getting dt 770's off of an ebay reseller for around $170, but Amazon has the d2000's on sale for $220 right now, marked down from $350, which is incredibly tempting. Here's the situation: I won't have an amp for either one, and if I get the dt 770's I can use the extra money to buy a xonar essence STX, while if I buy the d2000's I'll only be able to afford a xonar DX. Given these choices, which would you guys pick? Should I stick with the dt 770-80 pros with the essence STX or the d2000 with the DX?

Having owned the DT880s and listened to the DT770s, I am not a fan of their sound. I much prefer the full bodied sounds of the Denons. My two cents...

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 16
I've heard the DT770s and the Denons.
I would say the denon is a more refined sound than the DT770, however it does not isolate anywhere near as much and IMO they are very sibilant.
I didn't really notice any sibilance in DT770 pros because their treble is very muted.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the DT770s and the Denons.
I would say the denon is a more refined sound than the DT770, however it does not isolate anywhere near as much and IMO they are very sibilant.
I didn't really notice any sibilance in DT770 pros because their treble is very muted.

Yeah, when I first got my D2000s, I was using the mostly unamped or paired with an Icon Mobile, and I found them pretty sibilant. Once I bumped up to the HeadRoom Micro Amp and DAC, the sibilance all but disappeared -- basically they can really benefit from a better amp, which sounds like isn't going to be in the cards for Fakey if he gets the D2000s.

However, I still was completely in love with them even before I got my desktop amp and DAC. They're really respectable for portable listening.

I don't know what the DT770s sound like, but that's my two cents on the D2000s.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by backwardsname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, when I first got my D2000s, I was using the mostly unamped or paired with an Icon Mobile, and I found them pretty sibilant. Once I bumped up to the HeadRoom Micro Amp and DAC, the sibilance all but disappeared -- basically they can really benefit from a better amp, which sounds like isn't going to be in the cards for Fakey if he gets the D2000s.

However, I still was completely in love with them even before I got my desktop amp and DAC. They're really respectable for portable listening.

I don't know what the DT770s sound like, but that's my two cents on the D2000s.

I was using them from a very good amp more than capable of powering them and IMO they were still sibilant. I dont doubt that they are much worse without an amp, though.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 16
Same here, tried them Markl modded out of whatever amp it is during the Singapore meet. Man were they still sibilant. It is still there up until D7000.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

I was using them from a very good amp more than capable of powering them and IMO they were still sibilant. I dont doubt that they are much worse without an amp, though.

I'm a bit ignorant, but sibilant meaning they have a hissing sound?

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 16
I don't think they're overly sibilant, I've heard worse from horrible cheapies. Like any and every headphone, they have their negatives, but I think the positives greatly out weigh the other stuff. I'm still "breaking" mine in and I'll post more impressions soon on the D2000s.

P.S. No amp for the D2000 = Fail. Seriously, these headphones sound like crap through my Macbook and only OK through my iPhone. I don't think an expensive amp is needed as it sounds great through my Little Dot I+ and I've heard they sound great through a standard stereo receiver (I'll get to trying that out later as I'd require me to throw my iPod on the xbox360).

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I just use a simple HeadRoom Micro and they almost never sound sibilant to me anymore. It really seems like a matter of the recording -- certain recordings that have always sounded sibilant to me, on many different sets of headphones and speakers sound substantially reduced. Okkervil River still presents some problems for me at high volumes, but reducing the volume will definitely remove any trace of sibilance, even on recordings that have a ton of it.

I figure if I can blast Justice into my brain at high volumes and not notice sibilance, they're doing they're job.

And, as to D2000s without an amp -- still a very satisfying headphone, though surely not up to their potential.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 16
dt770 sounds great, d2k is nothing superior if you don't mod it or use a good amp. denon always mark up their price, but they never sale at their retail price, d2k is around 220 on amazon most of the time.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt770 sounds great, d2k is nothing superior if you don't mod it or use a good amp. denon always mark up their price, but they never sale at their retail price, d2k is around 220 on amazon most of the time.

Yea, my amp would be the essence STX, possibly with upgraded op amps inside since they only cost like 15 bucks each. Not sure how that would relate to a dedicated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back