Beyer DT-770 Pro vs. Grado SR-325 / 225
Jul 2, 2003 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
Is somebody willing to compare a bit these cans?

I mean, I am actually listening to rock through the Beyers and the sound seems so good - as I am wondering what Grados (which are so praised for rock music!) could bring more?

Or maybe the majority of people in this forum living in North America, the ones listening to rock got Grados (hence the praise for Grados and rock), and not Beyers... which transformed the allegation that Grados are the best possible cans for rock into a dogma...?

Now don't misunderstand me: I am ready (and actually willing) to believe that Grados 325/225 are better than Beyers 770 Pro for rock, but, since I haven't had the opportunity to listen to Grados, I would be grateful to the one(s) who will tell me where exactly do Grado perform better than the Beyers.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 9
i havent heard the 2 but from word around the campfire it seems that these cans are kind of opposites. beyer 770s are what you get when you go all out basshead and you have the headphone amp to feed these power hungry headphones. grado 325/225 are way lower impedance (32 instead of 250 i think) and are more known for their top end. grating for some, but giving others the impact they need.

and yeah. just another useless post brought to you by the gang here at team useless posters.

Jul 2, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
Everything said in this forum is dogma.

only to be changed by jude speaking ex cathedra.

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 9
I've got both the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros and the Grado SR-225s. If I had to pick one I'd stick with the Grados, but they're open phones so I mostly listen to the Beyers at work, which are closed.

You could maybe say that the DT-770s have a bit more bass than the 225s, but the 225s just sound more raw and immediate, whatever that means. I guess I mean that you get a better guitar sound out of the Grados.

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks, folks
biggrin.gif

Let's make things easier for everybody. Let's reformulate:

WHICH CANS ARE BETTER FOR ROCK, Beyer DT-770 Pro or Grado SR-325/225?

Consider me a bass-head, so please don't give me the "well, Beyers would be OK if not the bass" thingie
smily_headphones1.gif
. Any other criteria most welcome!!!

goose: I have the Corda HA-1 amp, so this is not a problem.

Chet: so the best way is to have both cans, right (actually this is the answer I wanted to get, since I am trying to convince myself that I need-need-need some Grados
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 9
It's rock man. You need-need-need some Grados.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 9
225's

The 325's are too bright and the 770's just plain suck..

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back