Beyer Dt 770 impressions
Nov 4, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
the bass is a little on the boomy side hope break in will take care of that.

It should. It did on mine. Mine (I have both the 600 ohm version, which I've had for much longer; but I'm talking about my newer 250 ohm version; and no, I don't have the newest non-pro version...yet) went through both extremes (too much bass, not enough bass) before it settled down.

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 24
Aren't the 770s great? I love bass! But they're musical too.

They lack a bit of clarity in the midrange. I'm hoping the new Beyers will include one that's like a super-770, with all the bass of the 770 plus better midrange. The headphones of my dreams....

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #19 of 24
I recently got a pair of DT770, and I don't want to say too much about them yet, but I'll say this: WOW THESE THINGS HAVE BASS!
wink.gif

Driven by a Max, the bass on these things is incredible -- it's not boomy, but it's powerful enough to have made me take my headphones off a couple of times to make sure I hadn't left the speakers/subwoofer enabled! I honestly "felt" the bass.

To see how much bass these things could produce, I got out some of my old L.L. Cool J CDs
wink.gif
which have some impressive bass (not the crappy upper bass that most of today's rap has -- real low-level bass). My jaw dropped.

Nov 13, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 24
I'd like to hear your impressions after they are burnt in, as I'm considering getting a pair.

Bass is good though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 24
The 770's are the complete inverse of the AKG 501's. They are very heavy-handed in the bass area, and recessed in the midrange. Too much so for my tastes. Not an even listening experience across the audio spectrum.

Fun - yes. Accurate - not the least little bit.

As always...IMHO. Enjoy.

-j

Nov 14, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
The 770's are the complete inverse of the AKG 501's.

maybe that's why i like the DT770 so much. it's funny . . . to me the AKGs are some of the *least* accurate hi-end headphones i've heard. (now, i expect Beagle to see this and say i'm deaf).

regardless, if you think the K501s are accurate, [size=x-small]for God's sake -- stay away from the DT770!!![/size]
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 24
Click here for DT 770 vs. AKG 501 frequency response

I am just getting a hang of this give-and-take. Want up-close nice smooth prominent detailed midrange? Better be ready to give up some bass. Want some killer bass? You pay in midrange, especially if you want some highs to balance the prominent bass. I had a recent experience with some new headphones (Sony MDR-CD580s) with a really prominent detailed midrange and highs to match, wonderful in its own way, and smooth warm bass, but I soon came to appreciate the price in terms of reduced bass impact, and the highs got to be a bit much sometimes. Maybe the trick is to put together a subjectively coherent sound, perhaps moreso than creating the most accurate sound possible.

When I heard the AKG 501s briefly, the bass was all there, but perhaps that's what's going on there... the smooth detailed midrange vs. impactful bass trade-off.

Of course, I only marginally know what I'm talking about. It's just my new pet theory.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
maybe that's why i like the DT770 so much. it's funny . . . to me the AKGs are some of the *least* accurate hi-end headphones i've heard. (now, i expect Beagle to see this and say i'm deaf).

regardless, if you think the K501s are accurate, [size=x-small]for God's sake -- stay away from the DT770!!![/size]
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #24 of 24
ok i just made my first major headphone purchase. i got the beyerdynamic 770's from B & H at ~ $150. the senn 580's are at newegg for $125 but there is considerable debate on them. nearly everyone likes the 770's (glowing reviews all around on multiple threads), and most of my music is bass-heavy (dance/trance). cancled my order at audiocubes for the ATH-EM7s because when more reviews started rolling in everyone thought even the PortaPro's sounded fuller on the low end. i'll be plugging the 770's into a mini amp i'm picking up from LTUCCI1924,
hopefully. thanks ppl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back