Beyer 770 32 ohm, or Senn Momentum 2.0
Mar 22, 2016 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

GreenII

New Head-Fier
Been searching long and hard for some good headphones in the 200$ 300$ range, and I think I have narrowed things down to a choice between 2 sets.

Beyerdynamic 770 pro 32 ohm  OR   Sennheiser Momentum 2.0

This will be my only pair of headphones, so I plan to use these for pretty much all media types: games, movies, music, podcasts, ect. I dont do any audio engineering or editing though.
I also dont want a dedicated amp(hence the 32ohm Beyer). I generally like a lot of difference genres of music, but I more often find myself listening to game and movie soundtracks. So I would be looking for big soundstage, and punchy bass.

The Senns look great, are more efficient, and more mobile, but I dont know how big their sound is compared to the Beyer.

The Beyers look... well most people here have probably seen them. They obviously arent designed with mobility in mind, even though the 32 ohm version could probably be used with portable devices. If I went with these, I would be expecting overall better sound(most notably in the low end) than the Senns.

My question I suppose is. Would the Beyers have distinctly bigger sound and bass? Would the difference me significant enough to compensate for the lack of mobility and style?
Does anyone have another recommendation that might fit my needs even better?

Bonus question: I do have the little Fiio E6 portable amp. Would this be sufficient to get the most out of an 80 omh pair of Beyer 770s?

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 2
First off, since you are interested in the 770, you should know that there is a new one on the market that is 16 ohms--it's called the DT770i. It is available exclusively at Guitar Center. You might check it out--it could meet your desire for no amp. Three others worth looking into are the SoundMAGIC HP150, NAD HP50, and the AKG K545--all of which are much more neutral than the 770. If you wish to save a bit of money, Takstar Pro 80 is really outstanding at under-$100. You'll have to look at all of these to see what you think of the styles.

You should know that the 770, while having good bass extension, can be rather bright (read sibilant). Mids are recessed.  If that kind of sound signature is not your cup of tea, then you might want to look elsewhere. My experience with the Momentum 2.0 is limited, so I can't comment in any detail. I do know that its sound signature is sort of at the opposite end of the spectrum from the 770 (mids more forward, treble slightly rolled off). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back