Beware! Version 1 Sansa Clips are showing up in Version 2 packaging...
Nov 14, 2008 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jussa Audio Dude

Head-Fier
i just bought a 4gb clip today, and i go check the firmware and it's still version 1. Darn it. And it was in the NEW packaging that supposedly only carried Version 2 Clips.

I am gonna have to see if i can exchange it.

I am sure there is a version 2 cuz it has some sort of improvements

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 19
sandisk does that a lot, they did it with the e280. It was a big mess and they are doing it with the clips. When I had to exchange my e280 v2 with another v2, sandisk customer support had to open several of their own sealed units and check the firmware. What a shame.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why can't you just update the firmware?

There two different kinds of PCB boards in a Clip, a v1 and a recently released v2.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 19
what are the advantages of a v2 over a v1 assuming the firmware is updated on both?

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 19
Some people claims it is not just firmware difference, because the v1 hardware takes v1 firmwares only, and v2 hardware takes v2 firmware only. If your firmware version is 1.xxxx, you have v1 hardware.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 19
The v1 skips with large lossless files such as WAV. Mine does on occasions. I also get a lot of weird background noises. I can use an attenuator to drown the background noise. The noise is at least not as annoying as the noises produced by my e280 v1.

It is most definitely a hardware update that required a 2.XXX firmware update. Sandisk usually would ask what firmware you are using before they can support the product. The Clip v1 and v2 are entirely two different products.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 19
To everyone wondering about the difference between the version 1 and 2 clips, the only difference is the positioning of some components or different components used. It does not change the performance of each player at all. The reason why there is different firmware for each version is to accomodate the hardware difference.

So which version is better? The answer is that they are both the same so you shouldn't worry about returning your player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do the boxes look like?

New(this one I bought had the version 2 with "V02.01.16A" firmware):

s6003270wm9.jpg

Old(not sure which firmware this one had because the picture isn't mine):

sansaclipsc3.jpg

P.s. I like old packing better because it would be easier to return it if something was wrong with the player
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_headshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To everyone wondering about the difference between the version 1 and 2 clips, the only difference is the positioning of some components or different components used. It does not change the performance of each player at all. The reason why there is different firmware for each version is to accomodate the hardware difference.

So which version is better? The answer is that they are both the same so you shouldn't worry about returning your player.

New(this one I bought had the version 2 with "V02.01.16A" firmware):

s6003270wm9.jpg

Old(not sure which firmware this one had because the picture isn't mine):

sansaclipsc3.jpg

P.s. I like old packing better because it would be easier to return it if something was wrong with the player
wink.gif

I got my second clip Monday and it's a version 2 but it came in the old package

lol i guess i should create my own thread topic " Beware! Version 2 Sansa Clips are showing up in Version 1 packaging..."

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 19
sandisk really screwed us with the e280 v1 and v2 and it is no different with the clip v1 and v2 and the fuze v1 and v2

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 19
I don't understand how anyone is harmed by having a Fuse v1 that sounds like mine. I am very happy with it and fine with the packaging that it came in. I don't need new packaging for my version 1 to work better.

BTW, all manufacturer's reserve the right to change their products in line.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_headshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well.. when I bought my Clip I wanted a first version. Usually producers are trying to make more profit with future revisions and might replace some components with cheaper ones. Different firmware should be because of different hardware. The big drops in price recently might sustain my opinion.. I don't think is just beacause of the drop in price of flash memory. But: who knows? Has anyone done a proper examination of both v1 and v2 players:sound audition and maybe an autopsy
biggrin.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back