Beware of tube scams:
Apr 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bid on a GZ34 on Ebay. I was outbid by two other bidders. No problem as I didn't want to pay anymore and passed. I then got an email from the "seller" that the bidder had backed out and I was next in line. Well for one I was third in line. I was told that all dealings would be through Ebay and all I needed to provide was my full name and address and Ebay would contact me for payment. I then asked when the tube was made, as he said he had 5 more of the Metal base GZ34's. He said December 2006. Well Philips metal base GZ34's were made in the 1950's with most being made in 1957 so. . . . I then asked the date of the others he had and that I really liked the 2005 and 2004 period. He said he has 3 of the 2004 metal base GZ34's. Well you can see where this is going. He doesn't enough to lie very well and so it goes. But for someone that may have thought they were getting an honest contact this could be costly.

Just a heads up.

Oh, I contacted the actual seller but he hasn't bothered to email me back, which is odd but I have dealt with him and he is ok.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all second chance offers are scams.

Except for, you know, the ones that arent. Ive offered them before as a seller, and trust me they were legit. You just have to make sure its actually through ebay.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 18
I have purchased on second chance with no problem but when the seller wanted my name and address and that Ebay would contact me there were too many red flags going up and then when he didn't even know when the tube was really made was, well, the icing on the cake. I know there are many scams but many people are looking for tubes that may not know too much about them and may be anxious to get one of the fine metal base GZ34's, which are hard to come by.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 18
Here's one to mull over.
A few months ago I bought a bunch of tubes off eBay. One particular seller had sold me a NOS pair of tubes at 30% less than retail sellers. I contacted him by email when I was looking for something specific. The seller said he didn't have any but he had another pair of the same tubes I bought previously but in even better NOS condition. I then proceeded to the auction to find that the current bid was 25% less than the last pair I "won". So started to bid, conservatively. Out of nowhere an eBay'er with a total of two feedback comments started a bidding war with me. I ended up winning the auction and paying 10% more than the previous pair. Honestly they were worth it, I have both pair still and they are close to NIB condition. BUT, I decided to try and find out who this other guy was so I did some snooping. The member who started the bidding war with me had been a member for several years but had won only two auctions (with this particular profile...) in that time. And I followed a little of this persons activity, or lack there of, and the activity of other auctions of other tubes like the ones I bought. This eBay'er didn't bid on anything else after I won that auction. What's even funnier is that this particular person's profile name was half anagram half acronym for the specific geographical location of the seller whom I won the auction from in the first place.

All in all, the tubes are worth more than I paid, but the whole thing seemed too coincidental.

We all need to be careful on eBay, especially the more novice audiophiles like myself.

There is no honor among thieves.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 18
Man that's messed up. Did you email ebay and report these guys? Ask them for their Paypal and report it.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's one to mull over.
A few months ago I bought a bunch of tubes off eBay. One particular seller had sold me a NOS pair of tubes at 30% less than retail sellers. I contacted him by email when I was looking for something specific. The seller said he didn't have any but he had another pair of the same tubes I bought previously but in even better NOS condition. I then proceeded to the auction to find that the current bid was 25% less than the last pair I "won". So started to bid, conservatively. Out of nowhere an eBay'er with a total of two feedback comments started a bidding war with me. I ended up winning the auction and paying 10% more than the previous pair. Honestly they were worth it, I have both pair still and they are close to NIB condition. BUT, I decided to try and find out who this other guy was so I did some snooping. The member who started the bibbing war with me had been a member for several years but had won only two auctions (with this particular profile...) in that time. And I followed a little of this persons activity, or lack there of, and the activity of other auctions of other tubes like the ones I bought. This eBay'er didn't bid on anything else after I won that auction. What's even funnier is that this particular person's profile name was half anagram half acronym for the specific geographical location of the seller whom I won the auction from in the first place.

I love this little tactic sellers use
rolleyes.gif

This weekend, I was going to purchase some NOS tubes from ebay but decided against it since many head-fiers have stated its a 'hit or miss' situation.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love this little tactic sellers use
rolleyes.gif

This weekend, I was going to purchase some NOS tubes from ebay but decided against it since many head-fiers have stated its a 'hit or miss' situation.

Definitely hit or miss, but like I said I still got what I paid for. The criteria I go by when buying tubes off eBay is this:
The seller must be willing to correspond via email before I "buy it now" or bid on anything. If they seem evasive or I don't like the cut of their jib, I don't buy.

I have bought quite a few tubes from sellers who do not accept PayPal and I got some great tubes at great prices. I have even had a couple of these guys call me on the phone to talk shop; how am I using the tubes, what kind of amp, etc.. And I take that as an opportunity to ask them about other tube sellers.
PM me if you want, I'll give you the seller profile names of the sellers I've bought from that had good ethics and great tubes. And "no" I am not affiliated with any tube seller on eBay or elsewhere.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 18
I have done well on Ebay but it is getting tougher and there are too many people that will bid too high. Much of the fun has gone out of Ebay. I am glad I enjoyed it a few years ago when you could still get a good deal like the 20 dollar metal base GZ34 that I got.

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i browse ebay a lot but hardly ever bid or purchase items anymore.

Yeah, I got all but two of my ten (yes too many) tube testers there and did well. I got a Hickok 439C like new on a second chance bid but no more. I have too much stuff anyway. I also sold off some of my testers on Ebay and did well so I guess I bought and sold right, for a change.

Hey, we joined about the same time and have almost the same number of posts! We could be a statistic, now to get a good sampling. :^)

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's one to mull over.
A few months ago I bought a bunch of tubes off eBay. One particular seller had sold me a NOS pair of tubes at 30% less than retail sellers. I contacted him by email when I was looking for something specific. The seller said he didn't have any but he had another pair of the same tubes I bought previously but in even better NOS condition. I then proceeded to the auction to find that the current bid was 25% less than the last pair I "won". So started to bid, conservatively. Out of nowhere an eBay'er with a total of two feedback comments started a bidding war with me. I ended up winning the auction and paying 10% more than the previous pair. Honestly they were worth it, I have both pair still and they are close to NIB condition. BUT, I decided to try and find out who this other guy was so I did some snooping. The member who started the bidding war with me had been a member for several years but had won only two auctions (with this particular profile...) in that time. And I followed a little of this persons activity, or lack there of, and the activity of other auctions of other tubes like the ones I bought. This eBay'er didn't bid on anything else after I won that auction. What's even funnier is that this particular person's profile name was half anagram half acronym for the specific geographical location of the seller whom I won the auction from in the first place.

All in all, the tubes are worth more than I paid, but the whole thing seemed too coincidental.

We all need to be careful on eBay, especially the more novice audiophiles like myself.

There is no honor among thieves.

Previously a very sly tactic some seller's did was to re register as another bidder and bid against YOU (the potential buyer) in an effort to pump up the bid price
mad.gif

I'm not sure if EBay has methods to prevent this, but whenever I'm bidding on an item I become very leary of opposing bidders with less than 5 bid histories.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, we joined about the same time and have almost the same number of posts! We could be a statistic, now to get a good sampling. :^)

i think Dimitrius joined the same time as well and has a similar post count.

sure but steady, we are.
icon10.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 18
You know that it isn't the actual seller that offers you the second chance right? most of the time people snipe the bidders and mail them fake ebay mails through remailers and fake-adresses that usually direct to a fake ebay or paypal site to steal their password or money, some dont link and send you a formish thing.

oh and there might be some thieves that go by ethics and honor so don't generalize :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back