Beware high end phones and iPod cases!
Jan 4, 2006 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

themouse

New Head-Fier
I pre-ordered four cases for both my Nano and iPod Video. As it happens they all arrived yesterday. They ALL have cutout holes for the mini plug to go through and they ALL are too small for my Westone UM2, my Shure E5c and my ETY 4p. This is tragic!

I believe iLounge has put the fear of God into the manufacturers. They give higher marks to cases that leave no area unprotected. Even corners. Instead of an open headphone area, there is a specific round cutout.

This trend ruins it for the fabulous high end phones that seem to share a larger than Apple standard molding grip for the plug. The Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro do fit, by the way.

Can someone on here come up with a solution? I went to Radio Shack looking for some kind of adapter. But they all do tricks. One, for $5 is a female mini to a smaller size male mini but has an inline volume control between them. Maybe I could remove the volume control piece and solder the thing back together again. But better still, maybe somebody on here can come up with something. I remember the first homemade ETY P to S changers that started out homemade on here.

This is a terrible trend if you ask me. Help.

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 24
I can't freaking stand this myself, actually. There's this wooden nano case that I'd just love to have, but lo and behold, only enough space for a crappy iBud jack. Even worse, the plug on the nano iBuds is even SMALLER than the older version!

iLounge might not be influencing manufacturers to be idiots, but they sure are a terrible website. Worst reviews I've ever seen, and every new iPod review has a sentance or two (if you're lucky) concerning sound quality. When I first bought an iPod (four years ago I think? When they weren't cool?) I bought it because I'd heard the audio was quite good...

Sometimes I really wish I wasn't tied down to the iPod. It's really ended up being a totally different product than it originally was.

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by themouse
Can you be more specific? I'm no handyman.

Neither am I, it was mostly a trial and error process. I put one of the small grinding tips and started removing a little at a time. After each pass I would try to fit the end of the cable thru. It took a while but I ended with an slightly larger hole. Good luck and patience.

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by themouse
You may not be a handyman but you have a Dremel tool. I don't even know what that is.

See http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/drmindex.html for what they look like. I bought mine at walmart.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 24
I have a "incase" case for my 5G and what I did was filpped to case open so i am looking at the inside of the case hole and using a pen I inserted my headphone plug so that the metal part of the plug goes in the hole. Holding it there you can see that the plastic part of the plug sets centered on the leather , use a pen to make a out line of your plug. Then take a new exacto knife and cut where you made the outline. Again this is all done on the inside side of your case. This made a perfect fit for my headphone jack.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 4, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 24
Last week I got my custom-made Vaja Cases iVod case for my black 60GB 5th Gen iPod. The construction is beautiful, the leather is top-notch, I picked out the colors I wanted (in my case, a retro 1970's brown and orange) and it has both a screen protector and a click-wheel protector. There is no top to it, which may seem like it's leaving the iPod unprotected. But since I've had it, there's not been any problems with scratching.

It ain't cheap though. With shipping, the cost is almost $90!!
eek.gif

I think it was worth every penny, as do most Vaja Cases owners.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 24
Thank you SO much. I just ordered one. I don't know for sure but I assume the diameter of it is small enough to fit the iPod case cutouts. I paid for overnight and it arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Thank you again. I almost spent $70 for a drill! Crazy hobby.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 24
Give a man a dremel and he could practically build almost anything.
A dremel is a rotary tool that spins at high rpms.
I'm sure a small rat tail file could remove small amounts of material from wooden cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back