Between The Buried and Me - Colors
Sep 19, 2007 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
If you like metal, AT ALL, or want to get into metal, or don't like metal but appreciate bands that break genre barriers down, you must pick this album up.

Between the Buried and Me as a band up until this point to me had always been this band where I'd listen to an album like "The Silent Circus" or a song off Alaska like "Selkies" and say to myself, wow, this band can put amazing riffs, rediculous solos, strange melodic intros, and very heavy vocals together to make an interesting sound. And I generally enjoyed this combination, but they weren't a band I turned to often after I had been through the albums a couple times.

With Colors, the table has completely turned. Between The Buried and Me as I have read is being contemporarily considered the Pink Floyd of Metal/Metalcore. Colors is a good example of this. They add just the right amounts of thrash, melody, even clean vocals this time, and just don't stop.

I'd even recommend ripping the album to your computer as a single file, because there is very little dividing the mere 8 songs apart from each other. None are conventional, none will ever fit in a prog playlist of mine, but together they make just over an hour of sheer enjoyment.

Sometimes with thrash, especially for people who don't listen to it regularly, it can be alienating because it is so intense. My ears sometimes tune it out a long thrash album shows up in my iTunes because if I'm not aptly concentrating on the music, I can't subconsciously appreciate it. With Colors, there is just enough metal for the album to still be predominately a metal album, but it is also the perfect amount to appreciate both the metal itself and the transitions by which the metal is coming in and out of your headphones.

My favorite part of many songs/albums are buildups, and the transition from the second to last track Viridian to the final track White Walls is an eye-opener and an adrenaline rush.

This might be my favorite album of 2007. I appreciate Darkest Hour's latest release for different reasons, but this BTBAM album is so well arranged (and recorded too) that it will be hard to top.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 12
This is a great album. I love how each song flows into another. I don't own any metal CD's that do this other than live recordings. Its seems like such a small and insignificant thing, but IMO a pause between tracks kills the mood. This is definitely my new favorite record.

Sep 27, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 12
I heard "Ants of the Sky" on XM radio today. Stunning. I had always thought of them as just another death-metal-core band. But this stuff was awesome. I guess I just have one more thing to say.

America finally has an answer to Opeth.*

Yea, it was that good. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

-jar

*if you say, what about Tool? - I don't really consider them to be from the "metal" camp.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 12
I'll have to check it out, Alaska was great.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 12
This band should be the ones getting the attention those cheesemongers Dragonforce have been getting over the last couple of years. Have to get this album once I get a chance - Alaska was incredible.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 12
I bearly enjoy metal at all. But BTBAM is so good. I dont know that I would like them if I hadn't seen them. When I saw them maybe 3 or 4 years back I was in aw. Especially because I was at a metal show and I dont really enjoy metal that much. Ever sense then I've really enjoyed them and cant wait to finally listen to the new cd. I have it on my computer but havent really had the erge to listen to is. Mostly because I cant really stand listening to metal with my k701s. but yea.

great review and discription BTW

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 12
This album is definatly a level above Alaska pretty quirky in some respects but i love it, and i'm not really a fan of their style of metal. At first i was like "What the hell..?" now i'm like "What the HELL!"

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bleh. i got this to review this week. meh. I seen them a couple years ago with Dillinger Escape Plan. Pretty boring from what I remember.

Yeah they're certainly boring. I have seen them twice, and even though their new release in my opinion is very impressive, I don't want their live show to ruin it. I'm going to see the Fields on the same night instead.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 12
Yes, i'm impressed, good job. One of my all-time favorite songs. Hope that doesn't make me a pedophile.

Your description of what you thought of Alaska is exactly how a friend of mine felt about the new release, Colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back