Between HD-598 and ATH-M50X
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HAShah

New Head-Fier
Hi;
I have HD-280 Pro that I use in home while for portability and out-door I use Momentum-On ear. I like the experience of open-stage sound of open-back headphones but also I like to have some deep bass. Is bass of HD-598 the same or better than ATH-M50X? I am more interested in bass response of HD-598 (I have tried ATH-M50X). Moreover, will a new pair of headphones complement any deficiency my owned pairs of headphones have?
Thanks

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 13
The open circumaural(around the ears) Sennheiser headphones such as the HD598 have great soundstage and midrange. They are also extremely comfortable. If you are after strong bass and isolation though, and don't have a problem with your ears overheating when you use your HD280 Pro, then the ATH-M50X would probably be a better choice. For classical music the HD598 is a favorite. For bass heavy music though, most seem to prefer the ATH-M50x.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 13
The open circumaural(around the ears) Sennheiser headphones such as the HD598 have great soundstage and midrange. They are also extremely comfortable. If you are after strong bass and isolation though, and don't have a problem with your ears overheating when you use your HD280 Pro, then the ATH-M50X would probably be a better choice. For classical music the HD598 is a favorite. For bass heavy music though, most seem to prefer the ATH-M50x.

+1

And for a bassier open headphone, you might save up for the Phillips X1.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 13
  Hi;
I have HD-280 Pro that I use in home while for portability and out-door I use Momentum-On ear. I like the experience of open-stage sound of open-back headphones but also I like to have some deep bass. Is bass of HD-598 the same or better than ATH-M50X? I am more interested in bass response of HD-598 (I have tried ATH-M50X). Moreover, will a new pair of headphones complement any deficiency my owned pairs of headphones have?
Thanks

The ATH-M50x would have a louder bass (not better quality) then the HD598, but the bass on the HD598 is not that loud in the first place.
but in general the HD598 would be better in most other areas, over the ATH-M50X.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, if you are planning to listen to anything other than like electronic music, I would go for the hd598, or even the hd558 with the tape mod to save some money.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks to all for your comments. I get the idea that M50X has louder- not necessarily good-bass than HD-598, right? Also leaving the louder bass aside M50X will not be able to compete with HD-598 in other areas? If I get HD-598 and use an amp with it, will the bass response be as good or better than Philips Fidelio X1?

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 13
  Thanks to all for your comments. I get the idea that M50X has louder- not necessarily good-bass than HD-598, right? Also leaving the louder bass aside M50X will not be able to compete with HD-598 in other areas? If I get HD-598 and use an amp with it, will the bass response be as good or better than Philips Fidelio X1?

No, You could use analog/digital EQ's to increase the bass but then you would get a distorted/muffled sound.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 13
I like the O2, it has better noise floor and transparency than other amps in the same tier. You also need a DAC,  I think if HD598 is the only headphone your gonna have then buy a nice amp/DAC like the Audiengine D1.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 13

You really can't create a lot of bass from a headphone that is not really bassy in the first place.
Or you try so hard that you end up with a bloated (louder and less detailed) bass.
You might consider taking the time and find a good price on a used Philips Fidelio.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #12 of 13
  Will Fidelio not need an EQ or an amp?

Non of those headphones really "need" an amplifier.  The HD-555 and up can being in better sound with them.  ATH-50 isn't a bad headphone at all, but it has no sound stage.  It's another reason why you see so many people here buying and selling headphones.  They are always wanting to try something out and see if they like it better.  

It's also like switching betting driving a truck, sports car, and luxury car.  

Finally, once you get use to a certain level of transportation like 50k,  you don't want to go down to economy car. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 13
  Will Fidelio not need an EQ or an amp?

Usually a decent quality headphone amplifier will improve audio quality, but the Philips can still work decently with out one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back