Between 2 headphones
Jan 12, 2006 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

enfer singe

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am about to take my first step into higher end headphones, and have it narrowed down to 2 pairs. I am pretty much between the Shure e2c's and the Etymotic er-6i's. These headphones will mainly be used for an ipod, so I am trying to take that into account when picking a pair. I have been reading as many reviews and articles I can find, but am just looking for some final input.

The Shure's have a better warranty, and I haven't heard any stories of them dying, while I have read a few reviews saying the 6i's failed after a few months. The 6i's do look a little more compact and easier to use though.

Anyway, any input is appretiated, and thanks for the help.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by enfer singe
Hey guys, I am about to take my first step into higher end headphones, and have it narrowed down to 2 pairs. I am pretty much between the Shure e2c's and the Etymotic er-6i's. These headphones will mainly be used for an ipod, so I am trying to take that into account when picking a pair. I have been reading as many reviews and articles I can find, but am just looking for some final input.

The Shure's have a better warranty, and I haven't heard any stories of them dying, while I have read a few reviews saying the 6i's failed after a few months. The 6i's do look a little more compact and easier to use though.

Not an IEM guy but ive heard the best IEMS at that price point are either the Ultimate Ears Super Fi.3 or the Westone UM1.
Apparently, both have improved low end response and more importantly comfort.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 20
I had the Ety Er-6i and loved them out of the Ipod. You will enjoy them, I found the foamies very confortable and the bass is better with them. Also you may want to experiment with the EQ, for me I choose the Bass Booster or the Jazz setting. Good luck.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 20
I have two pairs of ER-6i and I whole-heartedly recommend them to you! The detail and clarity is very good. It would definitely give any other IEM in this range a good run for their money. I also agree that the foamies are more comfortable and increase bass output. This may have to do with the better seal that foamies have over the tri-flanges. I also think that durability and build quality is not an issue here. I will put it to you that they may be more fragile than other alternatives, but not because of poor build quality.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for the replies

After more reading it seems that the e2c's have the general consensus for having more bass. Bass is not ridiculously important, I do not listen to much rap or techno, but mainly rock, although I would still like a good bass presence. Anyway, this is more or less a bump regarding this information.

By the way, I would appreciate it if people who have had experience with the customer service of either of these compainies to let me know how things went. Thanks.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 20
I don't have the Shures so I don't know what their customer service is like. However, it is a world-class company, so customer service won't be a problem at all.

I have had to use the customer service of Etymotics a couple of times. The first time was an enquiry on the different flanges available to those who find the bundled tri-flanges too big. They were very friendly and promptly suggested that I should try the smaller sizes. Not only were they quick to respond, they even sent me samples of their smaller flanges (two pairs of small foamies plus two pairs of small bi-flange), for not a single penny (I live outside the US, but they didn't charge me shipping either.)! Etymotic customer service is very good IMO.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 20
I have the Shure E2c and I enjoy them - the bass is rather noticeable but isn't overpowering (IMO)

I would say that customer service is excellent. I emailed them recently about the case that comes with the E2c as it has a central spindle that you wind the cable round and I felt that it was putting stress on the cable and wondered if there was anyway that I could remove this spindle without damaging the case. They were quick to reply to say that the E4c case doesn't have the spindle and that they would send me one if I gave them my address. I too live outside of the US and then about 3-4 days later I received my new case - no cost to me at all.... I'm very pleased.

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 20
Ok, well, the edymotics seem to have a lot of bass complaints. A lot of people on here are recommending the Westone UM1's, but I am having trouble finding reviews for them. By the time I move up to the $110 that the UM1's cost, I can get the e3c's. So I guess it is still between 2 different pairs, just 2 different ones than I had originally planned. Also, these are to be used with an ipod, so will both of these work alright with it? Again, thanks for the responses and the help.

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Ok, well, the edymotics seem to have a lot of bass complaints. A lot of people on here are recommending the Westone UM1's, but I am having trouble finding reviews for them. By the time I move up to the $110 that the UM1's cost, I can get the e3c's. So I guess it is still between 2 different pairs, just 2 different ones than I had originally planned. Also, these are to be used with an ipod, so will both of these work alright with it? Again, thanks for the responses and the help.

It's always hard to tell another person which IEM to buy.
I'll tell you what I think about my er6i.
I don't think they lack the bass. They are more detailed, and a little bit "thinner", but this doesn't mean the bass is not there. If you get a proper seal, you'll hear it. Maybe not feel it, but you hear it.
Foamies might help getting a more noticeable bass, but I don't like them so much, so I use triflanges.
Besides, E2c are said to be a little muddy, which is absolutely no the case with er6i. The sound is crystal clear.
I can't make a recomendation, but I can tell you, that I have er6i being driven by my ipod 4th gen, unamped, and I have no complaints what so ever (and I listen to a lot of metal, and hard/prog rock, so if I didn't like the bass, you'd know).
Whatever you decide, I don't think you'll regret it, since either one is better that the ibuds.

Happy listenings and good luck

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 20
I really like my ER6i's with the foam tips directly from an iPod. I just wanted to note that they are now also available in black if you have one of the new black iPods or Nanos.

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 20
I love my er6i. Their bass is not the absolute strongest (it's been a while since I've heard the e2c, and I think they may have a tiny bit more), but they truly excel in detail (the e2cs sound notably muddy in comparison), which is why I love them. The isolation is also fantastic - enough to the point where I'm seriously debating making them my Dorm phones over my HD580s. I haven't heard the UM1, and lots of people like it, but in its price range, the er6i is a fantastic phone. Also, I don't even use the Shirt Clip, and I don't notice the microphonics everyone else talks about. Great phones.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

after owning both models along with many others for background knowledge. Most will chose the er6i over the e2s. Unless one wanted more bass. Personally I go for the UM1s if I really wanted bass. er6i are good headphone and two members of my family use them and haven't had any issues with them. e2s I tried out but ended up selling to a friend. treble was veiled. And bass extension wasn't that good either. But if you need bass at all costs, I go for that.

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 20
alright, after reading a bunch of reviews and descriptions, I am fairly sure that I am going to go with the shure e3g's. From one website they end up at about $125, so that is looking like the best price out there. Thanks for all the help, but if anyone has any comments about these, let me know

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 20
The E2's aren't bad headphones; they just take a little tweaking to get into their own. The best mod IMHO is the Kramermod, pioneered by Kramer5150. This mod clears up the bass, extends the highs and smooths out the mids enough to make it competitive with the ER-6i's, with better bass. Another point in favor of Shure is the cord; the E2 cords are much thicker and more durable. Plus, their design is less microphonic than the ER-6i's, and more low-profile when they're being worn.

Of course, I might be a bit biased due to my ownership, but the E2's are not a regret for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back