Better USB/DAC than Total Bithead for under $200?
Feb 23, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 37
just naming a few (I DO NOT have experience with any of them save for the Leckerton):

Ibasso D2, Vivid Technologies V1, NuForce Icon Mobile, Go-Vibe Petite, Leckerton UHA-3 (sounds like Leckerton is developing a new model to replace it), Headstage Lyrix Pro (also discontinued).

As for the Leckerton, I can't compare directly but its a great sounding little amp and can drive most things at least serviceably. Slightly warm sounding but still great.

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #17 of 37
Edit: double post, please delete.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #18 of 37
geremy, I read most of the long thread on the nuforce icon mobile, it seems really positive. I'm just curious if there is a reason why you took it out of the running?
smile_phones.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #19 of 37
I prefer non-rechargable alkaline batteries and 2.5 hours of charger for 13 hours of playtime is pretty low. It's probably very comparable to the total bithead minus the crossfeed circuit.

The bithead also looks a bit more robust to me, but whether that is worth $60 is your call.

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #20 of 37
Yep, that's the only thing I'm a bit bummed about is the crossfeed. I just had a total bithead for a few days, I just left the crossfeed on and I didn't really test it very much. I haven't looked into crossfeed yet and don't know anything about it really. I can say that the bithead dac and amp+ myHD595's were wonderful together, I just couldn't stop listening to music for like 3 hours, glued to my chair.

But I do love that the Nuforce is a lot cheaper and so small. It's done well in HeadphoneAddict's continuing super detailed reviews on usb DAC/AMPs. (Thanks headphoneaddict~!)

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #22 of 37
Will check into those presently...

One other thing about the Nuforce is I like the sound of this:

Nuforce, Inc

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do recommend the gamma1 and some small amp (pimeta or mini3 style).

the gamma1 is something in the $150 range, I believe. (I build my own, but mrx does the building for the gamma1 guys who dont' want to do their own soldering)
wink.gif

Its less then $150 if you only do the lite dac. The full dac has many other inputs

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #25 of 37
My best opinions on USB DAC amps are in my big DAC/amp review UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I have never heard the Bithead, so I cannot comment on it. If you can stretch your budget to $219 + shipping, get the iBasso D3 and don't look back. Many very good ones fall in the $245-275 range - The 3MOVE and XM5 are great amps in the $250 range, but their DAC isn't as good as either the D3 or D10 - still their DAC is very detailed and nice and their superior amp sections make them rank above the D3 despite the better DAC in the D3.

If money is very tight and going past $100 is a stretch, and you plan to use the DAC a lot with a computer more than with an iPod, the Nuforce is the way to go. But, if it only takes you 1-2 more months to save the extra money for a $275 D10, then that is the one to get.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My best opinions on USB DAC amps are in my big DAC/amp review UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I have never heard the Bithead, so I cannot comment on it. If you can stretch your budget to $219 + shipping, get the iBasso D3 and don't look back. Many very good ones fall in the $245-275 range - The 3MOVE and XM5 are great amps in the $250 range, but their DAC isn't as good as either the D3 or D10 - still their DAC is very detailed and nice and their superior amp sections make them rank above the D3 despite the better DAC in the D3.

If money is very tight and going past $100 is a stretch, and you plan to use the DAC a lot with a computer more than with an iPod, the Nuforce is the way to go. But, if it only takes you 1-2 more months to save the extra money for a $275 D10, then that is the one to get.

Spoken like a true addict.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #27 of 37
Thanks again everyone....

I love DIY projects but I'm in India indefinitely and I dont' have the time to get it together. Also money is a big issue for me right now, and I will mostly be using it with my computer, so I guess I am going with the Nuforce....

......I think.....
normal_smile .gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #28 of 37
I thought the D3 was very susceptible to EMI?

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the D3 was very susceptible to EMI?

It is if you keep an iPhone close to it, or you can get the Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield for iPhone EM blocking card and put it in the back of the iPhone case. I have an unusual situation because here in Colorado Springs there are dozens of radio station towers broadcasting from Cheyenne Mountain, and they are right in my backyard. So, I can faintly pick up some radio stations if using sensitive IEM and plug a USB cable into the back of the D3. This is my only amp that does this radio station thing, except my old Meier HA-2 desktop amp had that same problem if listening to headphones with the low impedance jack

All the iBasso amps do the iPhone Buzz to some degree, and changing opamps if that feature is available helps or the EM blocking card helps.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #30 of 37
Well, I had planned to use the total bithead with my iphone, so that pretty much eliminates iBasso products. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back