Better upgrade for my ipod help me choose!!!
May 25, 2010 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Freeze

500+ Head-Fier
The people here seem to be pretty smart about high quality portable audio. I currently own an ipod classic photo 60GB 4th gen. I use Westone 3 Limited Edition earphones that I paid 500 for and so far it's the best 500 I ever spent. Highly reccomend them and the limited run of only 333 units makes me feel special. I have some extra cash and I want to know what will give me the most upgrade to my sound. I will eventually do both of these upgrades but I'd like to know which upgrade will give me the most noticeable boost first. I can either do the Imod from redwine and use the inline volume control to tame the high output first or I can get a line out cable for the dock connector and get a hornet headphone amp first. Eventually I want to have the Imod and a headphone amp but I can only do one at a time. So which is the better one to do first which will give me the most noticeable boost in quality the amp or the imod first?

May 25, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
The people here seem to be pretty smart about high quality portable audio. I currently own an ipod classic photo 60GB 4th gen. I use Westone 3 Limited Edition earphones that I paid 500 for and so far it's the best 500 I ever spent. Highly reccomend them and the limited run of only 333 units makes me feel special. I have some extra cash and I want to know what will give me the most upgrade to my sound. I will eventually do both of these upgrades but I'd like to know which upgrade will give me the most noticeable boost first. I can either do the Imod from redwine and use the inline volume control to tame the high output first or I can get a line out cable for the dock connector and get a hornet headphone amp first. Eventually I want to have the Imod and a headphone amp but I can only do one at a time. So which is the better one to do first which will give me the most noticeable boost in quality the amp or the imod first?

HiFiMAN HM-801

/thread.

May 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
HiFiMAN HM-801

/thread.

/HiFiMAN HM-801

biggrin.gif

But yeah, definitely an amp of some sort. iPods aren't bad sources. There are arguably better portable options, but a little amp will do more for the moment.

May 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 10
if you would like to spend another good chunk of money I would highly recommend the pico portable amp by headamp.  I have been using the pico/westone 3 combo for some time and have comed to love the sound.  They have been my favorite iem's (out of shure e4c and ety er4p/s).  

May 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 10
but than again if youre just getting into the whole business i would say dont spend that much money on an amp and settle for something a bit less, or scan the FS forums here

May 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Have you heard the HiFiMAN? No.
biggrin.gif

Why use your ears when you can just look at graphs and charts all day? Don't you know your brain fools you and you can't trust your ears? Yeah just don't listen to anything ever you will  always be fooled by your eyes
rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm pre ordering a pico slim. He said it will be about a 2 month wait so I'm gonna just sell my 60GB 4th gen and get a 160GB 7th gen rather have the extra space just hope an unmodded 7th gen sounds pretty close to a modded 4th or 5th gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back