Better to get a dedicated headphone amp or use my old NAD amp?
Jan 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #16 of 16
  Well, if the Fiio X3 mutates my car into a GTR, then we're talking.
biggrin.gif

Still sitting off-center though
biggrin.gif
Which reminds me - some guy over here built a tube frame chassis and fabricated a Mclaren F1 body out of fiberglass, but used the powertrain of a Civic EK Type R (I think) on the rear like how they did the NSX out of an Accord (plus Civic ES headlamps). When I saw that my first reaction was, "if they can isolate the engine, I can use that car to dominate EMMA! I don't remember there being a rule against kit cars!"

I was never expecting hifi audio from any car hifi and I'll have to keep the car stock for that inevitable day I have to sell it to build up a house deposit.

I suppose my other reason for looking at a higher end DAP was more so that I didn't have to have two sets of music at different bit rates for portable and home hifi use.

For me these are the only rational reasons for using a DAP in a car; others expect or report huge sound improvements, but of course, no DAP or even a home CDP will fix the time alignment issues in a car. And of course, true hi-fi can be expected in a car, but it requires a lot of modifications* and a real processor to get the soundstage right on the dashboard. I just personally don't do this either for one other reason: I want to see the display on the dash rather than on a device I have to pick up with my hand, so when I get a new car to work, it'll need to work with Android such that I can see everything on the dash display but Android works on the audio codecs, as most stock receivers can't read FLAC.

*Not all have to be permanent. In some cases, fabricating a kickpanel fiberglass enclosure means you can just take it off when you sell the car. The worst modifications done will be to the wiring but also reversible (just time-consuming).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back