Better to build around an amp or headphones?
Sep 17, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
In general, there's greater variation in sound between headphones than amps. You also have far fewer choices in cans. Much harder to find a satisfactory set of cans than an amp.

I disagree only because I know how acute your hearing (and many who responded to this thread) are. Some of you guys have golden dogs' ears. (I say that in a good way). Just look at the amp reviews. Heck, if even my poorly trained ears can distinguish overall sound between a SAC, Headroom Max and a Melos, how much more accute and sensitive are some of you-guys' ears? Look at the discussion concerning the 8620 vs the OPA627/637 or the merits of one tube over another, etc.

Yes, the overall sound is produced by the headphone, but the minute details can only be bought out by the amp. A great amp will probably tend to make a good headphone sound better, but a great headphone on a crap amp will probably still sound like crap.

Fewer choices in cans? Again, I disagree. Even in the "great" catagory one can choose the CD3000, HD600, K1000, etc. and still be flamoxed mating a matching amp.

Sep 17, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
My problem is I have the CD3000 and an Emmeline HR-2 amp. While it sounds great, I'm not too sure it's the best match up on my system (the CD3000 reveals a bit too much for my ears with the HR-2). On the other hand, I can easily see how Sennheisers would be great with this amp. I've been using my Etys with the HR-2, and wow. Talk about dynamic sounds. And if you ever wanted to hear bass out of Etys, hook them up with the HR-2.

I'm a big believer in system synergy, and my current finanical and household situation, I'm going to be a one home amp, one home headphone type of guy (other than the Etys which I can argue are portable use). I love the CD3000, and I like the HR-2. I have a feeling that the CD3000 are more picky then the HR-2.

Shafu,

I think the CD3000's and the HR2 can sound great together and have listened to that combination at length. I think the concerns you seem to have are the limitations of your source.

JC

Sep 17, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #18 of 21
The sound is pretty detailed and dynamic with the CD3000, but there is almost *too* much detail. It's great for critical listening, but with some of my cds (including SACD) there is just too much sound with the CD3000. With the DT880s I was borrowing from Macdef (and my own Etys ER4S), the HR-2 sounded great.

I don't think the C333ES is a bad source. There're plenty of others who use this as their main source (including Macdef and Jude, according to their profile).

Sep 17, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
I don't think the C333ES is a bad source.

Well, I for one consider all Sony sources bright. Although I was amazed to find that they are now supposedly using Burr-Brown DACs in some of their equipment.

So, is it the detail, or the too-bright/detail which irritates you? A change of tubes and ICs may help tame the nuances. Have you tried repositioning the CD3000s?

Sep 17, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #20 of 21
333ES both stock and Modwright mod-ed were very mellow up top to these ears. Very un-digital sounding for a CDP.
Quote:

a great headphone on a crap amp will probably still sound like crap.

Very true.
Quote:

Even in the "great" catagory one can choose the CD3000, HD600, K1000, etc. and still be flamoxed mating a matching amp.

Only because we have about 10 good/better amps for each good/better headphone out there. Yeah, it's still a pain picking out cans, but compared to sheer # of sources, amps, and cables out there, pickins is slim.

Sep 17, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn

So, is it the detail, or the too-bright/detail which irritates you? A change of tubes and ICs may help tame the nuances. Have you tried repositioning the CD3000s?

It's the detail that that is a bit too much for me. I can hear *all* of the defects on the recording, including the singer's lips smacking! It's not that it's bright that's the problem. Also, my Etys sound amazing with HR-2 and C333ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back