better than hd650 for vocal music?
Oct 20, 2023 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i am wondering if there is a headphone that is superior to the hd650 for vocal music (jazz, folk etc.) in terms of emotion, expressiveness and intimacy or the hd650 still the ultimate?

d

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 20
I don't know about superior but a ZMF has similar qualities of emotion and expressiveness, just presented differently.

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 20
Just headphones I've owned. I did have the HD650...
I felt the Sennheiser HD800 and HD800s were better. I also like the Meze 109Pro, which I'm currently using.

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 20
If you don't mind a claustrophobic soundstage and if you can find them on the used market, the Sennheiser Momentum 2 (wired) are excellent for vocals.

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 20
Grado has very impressive mids, so of course vocals.
And I find Focal's have strong mids/vocals.

My favourites are Grado GH2's and Focal Clear's (OG).

Oct 20, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 20
The HD650 with otl tube amp is tough to beat. The Focal Elex is very good and just edges it out in other areas.IMO,, the Elex Soundstage,dynamics and imaging are superior 👌

Oct 20, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 20
The HD650 with otl tube amp is tough to beat. The Focal Elex is very good and just edges it out in other areas.IMO,, the Elex Soundstage,dynamics and imaging are superior 👌
The Elex/Clear is a formidable weapon. :L3000:

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 20
To be honest, there isn't much, really. It all depends on what you don't like about the HD650 and vocals. It also depends on whether or not you're willing to EQ or hunt down used, and your budget.

There are some Stax headphones that can outdo it, but with a few caveats in each case. The L700 can be better but it needs to be equalized, the default FR is a bit off. The SR-007 mk1 can be quite a lot better but it needs a nuclear reactor of an amp. The older SR-003 / SR-001 mk2 can be just about the best thing for vocals, but the comfort is wretched, the sound is very fit-dependent and I don't see too many of them come up for sale. The SR-X mk3 pro can also be wonderful but it's pretty bang-on diffuse field and you're likely going to need to EQ the upper mids and highs down, unless you're listening to a recording that was also mixed with diffuse field in mind. Also, good luck finding one for any reasonable price these days, or wearing it for more than 15 minutes without agonizing pain.

So yeah there is some stuff... but none of it is easy.

Focals incidentally aren't it IMO, but they will give you superior bass, impact, macrodynamics, and instrument separation. They will have worse tembre and the highs are much less linear. The Utopia is slightly different from the rest in that it is noticeably more resolving, but the issues with tembre and treble linearity remain. You can EQ them and they will improve, but only up to a point.

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 20
I have an ACER Aspire AIO computer and its Maximum Power Supply is 65W. Is it decent enough to power a Sennheiser HD650 ? as I watch YOUTUBE and listen to music and concerts through the Acer AIO ?

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 20
I have an ACER Aspire AIO computer and its Maximum Power Supply is 65W. Is it decent enough to power a Sennheiser HD650 ? as I watch YOUTUBE and listen to music and concerts through the Acer AIO ?

Power supply rating has nothing to do with the audio output. I don't know the specs on that, some cards can drive it ok and some can't. If you get it and it sounds muffled, dark, and there is no bass, then you probably should add an amp.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 20
no. I would get a separate USB dac and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back