Better than EX71 (but similar)?
Jul 9, 2005 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jacobweber

New Head-Fier
Are there any earbuds out there with a similar form as the EX71s, but better sound quality? I really like the feel of the EX71s, the modest amount of isolation, and the fact that they're easy to put in and take out quickly. But their sound quality leaves a little to be desired; it's very bassy (although this seems to improve with age). But now that I'm replacing my broken EX71s, is there something similar but better?
Thanks,
Jacob

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 12
I assume you want something in the same price range as well. In that case I would suggest the following:

Sony EX-81
Shure E2c
Sharp MD-33

You can do a search on the forum to get reviews and impressions of each.

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobweber
Are there any earbuds out there with a similar form as the EX71s, but better sound quality? I really like the feel of the EX71s, the modest amount of isolation, and the fact that they're easy to put in and take out quickly. But their sound quality leaves a little to be desired; it's very bassy (although this seems to improve with age). But now that I'm replacing my broken EX71s, is there something similar but better?
Thanks,
Jacob

Etymotic 6 or 6i - 78$ including shipping at bestbuy.com

Better is the Etymotic 4P. With external amp Etymotic 4S

If you get too much bass on EX71 that means you got a really good seal - could reduce bass with the next smaller bud size.

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Well, I'm not necessarily looking for the same price range as the EX71s, although that would be nice (especially since no electronic device seems to last more than a year in my hands).

I've tried the Etymotic 4Ps and one of the Shure models (forgot which one). There were a few blissful moments of gorgeous sound, but they were surrounded by lots of pain and discomfort. I don't seem to do well with the "in-the-ear-canal" type of phones. That's why I like the EX71s; there's enough of a seal that they block out some noise, but you don't have to insert them too far in your ears. Also they're easy to put in and out quickly, when you need to hear something outside.

But I'll take a look at the other recommendations - thanks!
Jacob

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi Jacob,

I've been on this hunt forever. If you're willing to spend the money, I'd say look at the Sony MDR-EXQ1 (the Qualia inner ear receiver), Shure E4c or, I imagine (no personal experience) the UE Superfi 5 Pro. Each has the same no-hassle seal as the EX71. But all are in the $200 ~ $300 price range.

Here's a thread we had on them not too long ago.

Other recommendations might be the Panasonic RP-HJE70 (maybe around $100), which I find to be better than the EX71/81, but not as good as the Qualia.

People may prefer the MD33, but they're not, in my opinion, that significant of a jump up from the EX71. At least not MDR-EXQ1 or even RP-HJE70 quality.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stev310
future sonic EM3's. im coming from the ex71's and these have WAY more bass and amazing sound. Best headphones I have used for my ipod yet.

Do the EM3 work with soft-flex like tips? I always thought you had to use foamies with them. Also, can you wear them straight down and not over-the-ear?

Best,

-Jason

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm still a big fan of the Panasonic RP-HJE50
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back