Better than bose?
Jan 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

big jake

New Head-Fier
At the moment I have bose tri-ports .I know they get slated on here, so I am looking for help.
I don`t want iems, buds or any in the ear jobs.
I`m looking for closed phones for use with an i-pod.
i don`t listen to jazz or classical, but just about anything else. So what would you people recommend?. Please don`t get all technical `cos I won`t have a clue what you`re on about.
Auditioning phones is a problem , no decent shops locally. thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Wrong sub-forum if you want closed headphones..

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 11
Do you like the Bose? There is a lot of slating on this forum, particularly of Bose. It is perfectly acceptable to like Bose. Are you just going to change them because you dont want to get criticised by the anti-Bose bandwagon? Do you want closed backed headphones like the Bose?

You preferred sound (clear, heavy bass etc) the kind of music you listen to and your price range will help to give further advice.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 11
The reason for me needing another pair of phones is the boss(girlfriend) has nicked mine, and as I now need a replacement pair I thought I`d try something else/better.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by big jake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason for me needing another pair of phones is the boss(girlfriend) has nicked mine, and as I now need a replacement pair I thought I`d try something else/better.

We Yanks assume 'nicked' means stolen, opposed to 'put a scratch on them.'
wink.gif

Check the Full Size Headphone forum for more talk about what might be best for you.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We Yanks assume 'nicked' means stolen, opposed to 'put a scratch on them.'
wink.gif

Check the Full Size Headphone forum for more talk about what might be best for you.

i think this is the right place for what he's looking for... closed, mostly portable cans, right?

i'll throw a couple out:

Sennheiser HD25
these things are tanks, they isolate well and sound really good. if you watch sports (at least here in the U.S.), i guarantee you've seen them on the heads of most announcers and commentators. they do make you look a bit like an airline pilot when you wear 'em.

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
they aren't the best at isolating ambient noise, but they've got a good, fun sound and you could probably find a pair for under a 100 quid.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 11
The Denon AH D1001s are closed back and do bass, a bit too much bass for me, but there is a real drive to them from what I have heard out of an ipod touch listening to Queen, Santana and the Scissor Sisters.

You should consider some form of amplification as an ipods output through its headphone jack is poor. A FiiO E5 with a LOD cable to connect the docking port to the amp is about £25. With that you will add more drive, dynamic etc to the listening experience.

But, from what I have heard of the Denons, the FiiO may make them too bass heavy, particularly with bass boost on.

I prefer bass to provide background rhythum to the midrange, as opposed to leading the charge for sound.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A FiiO E5 with a LOD cable to connect the docking port to the amp is about £25.

Or just get an E1.. which is what I'm going to do. A decent length LOD cable costs more than the whole E1 in UK atm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back