Better Source vs DAC
Aug 7, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by markjia

Hi markjia !!

If you need both coaxial and optical, i'd go with the MSB Link II or III. They give excellent sound, and are also extremely upgradable. Fully upgraded, they can perform comparibly to some of the best out there.

----------------------------------------

Another option is the Art DI/O...it only has one coax input but gives better bang for the buck compaired to all other DACs. If you have two digital sources, couldn't you just feed one into the other first? I know this wouldn't give the best sound, but TosLink is not as good to begin with.

couldn't you just feed one into the other first?

markjia, I'm a "sub-starter" here.... Can you help me a bit more about this way of feeding?

I went to SoundStage web sit for a look into a MSB. Very nice indeed !!!

confused.gif

Best from

Ari

Aug 7, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #32 of 34
By "feed one into the other" I meant connecting the outputs from one of them into the inputs of the other, so as to pass through the signal. This way, you only require a DAC with one digital input.

Unfortunately, I did not mention that one of the devices need to be able to take digital input. I am not sure about your equipement, so I can't really say.

There might be switches available that allows you to use choose btw digtal sources...the problem with this is maintaining a 75 ohm impedance...perhaps someone here has more info on this matter.

Having read your new post, I noticed that you want to use this DAC with a DVD and LD. At least one of these devices are Dobly Digital and DTS capable...does this mean you use a 5.1 receiver as well? If so, you can use that to route the signals from both (assuming it has digital out).

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

If you have two digital sources, couldn't you just feed one into the other first? I know this wouldn't give the best sound, but TosLink is not as good to begin with.

Not usually. I would second the recommendation on the MSB.

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Having read your new post, I noticed that you want to use this DAC with a DVD and LD. At least one of these devices are Dobly Digital and DTS capable...does this mean you use a 5.1 receiver as well? If so, you can use that to route the signals from both (assuming it has digital out). [/B]

Know what? I just checked and the DVD has optical AND coax digital outputs !! So I can use a coax only DAC !!

And, no, I do not use a 5.1 receiver. I only have a very nice preamp and a good amp (800w), Brasil made.

I don't care about 5.1s till this time. Will keep stereo hifi for a long time.

So, as I have both sources w/ digital coax output and a CAN have stereo output instead 5.1 from the Naka DVD (remote control programming), I'll stick on one of those coax input DACs !!!

Too much talking... Any suggestions for a good (300 box range) DAC?D
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

And thanks everybody for the help!!

Best from

Ari

Users who are viewing this thread

Back