Better source upgrade AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude vs E-MU 0404?
Jan 26, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, adding a dedicated card will offload some of the sound processing to the sound card, freeing up a few CPU cycles and allowing the EAX effects to be transmitted to your external DAC.

I'm going to go ahead and do it. This onboard audio just isn't cutting it for me.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to go ahead and do it. This onboard audio just isn't cutting it for me.

Please report back on this one. I'm interested to know how big a difference this makes.

Cheers

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Prelude is actually a worse transport than normal x-fi's. Why? Because it cannot transport a pcm-signal with eax effects in Vista. It's drivers are designed in a way that doesn't allow it. To get pcm-output you must use the spdif/output option, but then it will bypass all processing by the card. Unless you use the lossy Dolby Live option.

In comparison, regular Creative X-fi's CAN output an spdif signal with EAX effects as long as you enable it from the x-fi's control panel.

So as a transport, the Prelude loses.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Prelude is actually a worse transport than normal x-fi's. Why? Because it cannot transport a pcm-signal with eax effects in Vista. It's drivers are designed in a way that doesn't allow it. To get pcm-output you must use the spdif/output option, but then it will bypass all processing by the card. Unless you use the lossy Dolby Live option.

In comparison, regular Creative X-fi's CAN output an spdif signal with EAX effects as long as you enable it from the x-fi's control panel.

This is only in Vista? Does XP work properly like the creative's do?

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is only in Vista? Does XP work properly like the creative's do?

Yes, I've heard that in XP it works correctly. Vistas sound management is different. I tried getting this information across to Auzentech but their support doesn't seem to understand english much if at all.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went for the X-Fi Elite Pro. I got it for a tad less than a Prelude anyways thanks to a friend owning me a favor.
wink.gif

In the end, it's usually better to go "first party" on something anyways. That's just how I am.

I've seen enough mixed feedback about Auzentech customer service and posts like this one that I just figured I'd better stick with Creative. I've had good luck with two other X-fi cards in the past on two different machines so all should be well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back