Better source upgrade AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude vs E-MU 0404?
Dec 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Poefx

New Head-Fier
I have a X-Fi XtremeMusic right now and would like to get a nice upgrade for my sound quality. So which one would I be most happy with? I won't do any producing/creation of music at all so I doubt I'll ever use the inputs. I won't be using the Prelude for surround sound either, just headphones.

I don't have a DAC or AMP. I have Senn 595s.

Which one would I be more satisfied with? Should I keep my XtremeMusic and get an amp instead? I don't want any of those Chinese amps though and only have about $250 w/ shipping available to spend.

Please help me out. I've probably spent over 30 hours in the last few weeks reading stuff on Head-Fi and I'm no where closer to making a decision on how upgrade my sound.

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 53
I' don't have either of those sources so I can't be of much help, but I can say this. I've spent a few months around here and haven't been able to decide what to get next
eek.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 53
I went from Xtrememusic to the Prelude and the improvement in sound quality was quite noticeable. Mostly there is more impact and clarity, slightly tighter bass and less harsh highs. No night and day difference but a step up nevertheless.

If you, like me, are both into gaming and audiophile quality audio, get the Prelude.

I haven't heard the EMU0404 so I can't really comment on that.

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 53
You will be.
biggrin.gif

Just note that the 0404 USB suffers from the same issue as other USB audio interfaces: only one program can play back sound at a time. You can avoid this by using your X-Fi's digital output instead of hooking up the 0404 USB via USB.

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 53
Hi, I'm in the same situation as well. I'm wondering which of the following is a better setup:

Prelude->Amp->HD600
Emu404->no amp->HD600
Emu404->amp->HD600

I really don't think that buying Prelude AND Emu404 is an option, since I play games and listen to music. I would rather not have to unplug my headphones every time I do something different.

An additional question, are hi-fi headphones good for gaming? As in, do they create realistic surround sound or are speakers necessary?

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphataru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm in the same situation as well. I'm wondering which of the following is a better setup:

Prelude->Amp->HD600
Emu404->no amp->HD600
Emu404->amp->HD600

I really don't think that buying Prelude AND Emu404 is an option, since I play games and listen to music. I would rather not have to unplug my headphones every time I do something different.

An additional question, are hi-fi headphones good for gaming? As in, do they create realistic surround sound or are speakers necessary?

I find headphones a lot better for gaming. But I've never had good speakers (best I've had is Creative Inspire T6100; which are crap). When I had Audio Technica AD700's they were perfect because the soundstage was huge and were extremely comfortable.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be.
biggrin.gif

Just note that the 0404 USB suffers from the same issue as other USB audio interfaces: only one program can play back sound at a time. You can avoid this by using your X-Fi's digital output instead of hooking up the 0404 USB via USB.

If you get the time could you help me by showing what type of cable I'll need to get to do that? I saw some connectors that are optical to 3.5mm is that what I'm looking for and then just a normal digital out cable?

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poefx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get the time could you help me by showing what type of cable I'll need to get to do that? I saw some connectors that are optical to 3.5mm is that what I'm looking for and then just a normal digital out cable?

You'll need a 3.5mm mini-S/PDIF to RCA cable--this is coaxial, not optical. You have a few options:

Pre-built from a place like RAM Electronics
Regular RCA-RCA cable plus an adapter

The pre-built solution is better because there are less connections, but it's also a bit more expensive.

alphataru, the choice is really up to you. If you play system-intensive games, it's best to go with an internal sound card. It will depend on the quality of the external amp you plan to buy whether or not it will be better than plugging straight into the card/interface.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be.
biggrin.gif

What exactly do you mean by this? Like I can't listen to music and play a game?(listening to the gunshots or ingame sounds or whatever). I know I could play the game but could I play the game with sounds and music or what?

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 53
I never heard of this limitation. USB sound card reviews don't comment this. I planned to buy the EDIROL UA-1EX USB sound card but after reading this I'm reconsidering my decission. Probably I will end up buying an Audigy 2 ZS Notebook instead.

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by moomooemu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly do you mean by this? Like I can't listen to music and play a game?(listening to the gunshots or ingame sounds or whatever). I know I could play the game but could I play the game with sounds and music or what?

The game itself counts as one program, so it would work. However, you couldn't play your own music in the background or something like that. I've gamed with the 0404 USB and it has worked fairly well.

Yeah, it's one of those things about USB that most people don't talk about because one program at a time is usually enough for playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back