Better source, DAC or headphones to improve audio quality
Sep 28, 2016 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ignacio Soler

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for help deciding what will give me better sound quality improvement for my money:

1. Better source material.  I'm currently listening to Spotify premium and Apple Music.
2. A quality headphone DAC/Amp.  I'm using my iPhone 6S.
3. Better headphones. I have Philips Fidelio L1.

I like jazz, R&B and Pop.  I can't say I have very discriminating ears, but I can tell that my iPhone sounds much better than my MacBook Pro and that my Fidelios are better than my daughter's Sol Republic V10. I am also very sensitive to harsh or overly bright treble.

My budget is around $400.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 11
Headphones.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 11
If you are upgrading to headphones (my personal recommendation for your situation as well), I recommend the Oppo PM-3 (get the refurb for $80 less):

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZPM3

If you can double your budget, you can also get Oppo PM-1 refurb for $800 as well (a few people had long withdrawals after trying them out for a week :wink: ):

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZPM1

Edit: A Master & Dynamic MH40 is a great semi-open-back portable...but I still think the PM-3 sounds better, even if it is a closed-back portable.

Edit #2: Just FYI, the PM-1 is a semi-open-back portable. If you don't need a portable, or one that folds flat, you can get an open-backed Hifiman HE-400i for $349 as a demo unit, and don't forget to use coupon code "RAZORDOG50" for $50 off $250 or more item at checkout for this link:

https://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/headphones/products/hifiman-he-400i-full-size-planar-magnetic-headphone-open-box

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks.  So you both agree that the headphones are still the weakest link in the chain.  The Oppo PM-3 were exactly the ones I was thinking about based on Innerfidelity.com recommendations.  Can the iPhone 6S drive them just fine?

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks.  So you both agree that the headphones are still the weakest link in the chain.  The Oppo PM-3 were exactly the ones I was thinking about based on Innerfidelity.com recommendations.  Can the iPhone 6S drive them just fine?

The PM-3 played nicely on my iphone6. However, The PM-1 has more room for even larger ears. The PM-3 had just enough room for my larger-than-average ears.

Edit: If you go for the PM-3 and you feel like upgrading later, you can just get the newly revised Oppo HA-2SE DAC/Amp that is compatible with apple products:

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HA2SE

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 11
I think I'll go for the headphones and add the DAC later.  What is the consensus between the Oppo PM-3 and the Hifiman HE-400i?  Both are in the $400 range.

The HE-400i sounds slightly better when indoors and is more comfortable when the gimbals are moved around a bit, but will sound even better with a DAC/Amp than standalone with an iPhone6. The PM-3 is best for any type of travel and will work better for calls and office work, though.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 11
  I'm looking for help deciding what will give me better sound quality improvement for my money:

1. Better source material.  I'm currently listening to Spotify premium and Apple Music.
2. A quality headphone DAC/Amp.  I'm using my iPhone 6S.
3. Better headphones. I have Philips Fidelio L1.

I like jazz, R&B and Pop.  I can't say I have very discriminating ears, but I can tell that my iPhone sounds much better than my MacBook Pro and that my Fidelios are better than my daughter's Sol Republic V10. I am also very sensitive to harsh or overly bright treble.

My budget is around $400.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Definitely headphones. If headphone sound differences are described as night and day, source differences are more like an hour, if that. I am using high end in ear phones with an IPhone 5 and I find my satisfaction with the sound to be more than with my Fostex TH-900/HP-8A desktop combination.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 11
With your budget of 400,- why not upgrade the headphone and a dac/amp?
Spend 300 on a good headphone and 100 on dac/amp combo. Should work out nice.

For recommendations on wich headphone and dac/amp you should give some more preferences (over ear, on ear, in ear, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back