Better sound: New headphones or DAC/Amp
Apr 20, 2015 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bgentry

100+ Head-Fier
My system consists of the following:

Macbook Pro running JRiver Media Center connected via built in sound output 3.5 mm to
Yamaha mixing board (inexpensive) and from it's headphone output jack to
SoundMagic HP150 headphones.

Pretty simple; the Yamaha is mainly there for more gain (if I want it) and some sound routing that's unimportant.

I bought the HP150s several months ago and I like them, but the overall sound is overly bright to me.  I was looking for what I thought was a "neutral" sound, but the high end is over emphasized for my taste.  I've tamed it quite a bit with parametric EQ in JRiver, but it's still not exactly what I'm looking for.

For quite some time I've been considering a Schiit Modi and Magni.  The Modi because I'm expecting better sound quality from it compared to the built in sound on the Macbook Pro.  The Magni because I'm expecting it to have far better sound quality than the Yamaha mixer.

But I keep thinking that spending the money on the Modi/Magni might not be smart because they cost more than the headphones, so why not start with headphones that I like better?  I *DO* like the HP150s.  I just want something with a warmer profile I guess.

What would you guys suggest?

Thanks,

Brian.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Yeah, an amp or DAC isn't going to change the fundamental character of your headphones, so a headphone upgrade is far more important. Do you have a budget you're aiming for? Elaborate on this "warmer profile" you seek.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 9
By the way, when I compared the headphone outputs of my Alienware M11x R2 laptop to my old Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2, I heard little to no difference. And that was with all sorts of headphones, including harder to drive ones.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 9
New headphones will be your biggest change in sound.  But as in all things Head Fi, one person's barely noticeable difference is another person's "NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!" 

If it's in your budget and you're OK with open headphones, you can find the Sennheiser HD600/650 for under $300 pretty often.  The HD600 I have is extremely easy on the ears (no harshness).  iPhone6 drives it fine for my ears, but has more authority when driven by a dedicated amp.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 9
In terms of "warmer profile", I'm looking for something where the high frequencies are not emphasized at all.  If you've heard the HP150s, I'm looking for something that's several steps down from them in terms of the volume of the high frequencies.

I heard some low end Grados MANY years ago and I remember them as being much more "warm" sounding.  I'm primarily looking for closed back headphones up to about $200, but I might be convinced to go open back or to stretch the budget a bit.

Thanks for the opinion on the Schiit gear; though it does contradict what I've read in many places.

Thanks,

Brian.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 9
  In terms of "warmer profile", I'm looking for something where the high frequencies are not emphasized at all.  If you've heard the HP150s, I'm looking for something that's several steps down from them in terms of the volume of the high frequencies.

I heard some low end Grados MANY years ago and I remember them as being much more "warm" sounding.  I'm primarily looking for closed back headphones up to about $200, but I might be convinced to go open back or to stretch the budget a bit.

Okay, because some people mean emphasized bass when they say warm. Are you looking for something that is just neutral instead of bright or dark? Also, many Grados are known for being very bright.

You could probably find a used NAD VISO HP50 for around $200. It has similar measurements to my favorite closed headphone, the Focal Spirit Professional.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Okay, because some people mean emphasized bass when they say warm. Are you looking for something that is just neutral instead of bright or dark? Also, many Grados are known for being very bright.

You could probably find a used NAD VISO HP50 for around $200. It has similar measurements to my favorite closed headphone, the Focal Spirit Professional.

Agreed. Normally, Grados are described as having emphasized treble. Not generally warm sounding.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Ok, so Grados are probably not what I'm looking for.  Cool.

What headphones match what I'm after?

Given my setup, what DAC and amp should I be looking at?  I keep reading people saying they hear big differences; I'm not sure whether a DAC and amp will make a noticeable difference in my case.  What do you think?

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back