Better Sound for £200? (first post!)
Aug 30, 2004 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

voteMash

New Head-Fier
Ok so recently I have been thinking hard about how to upgrade the sound from my computer to be half decent. I went (mentally) through METAs, PPAs, USB sound boxes, a whole lot of stuff which is way out of my price range, tubes, parts which are not easily available in england, parts which are not available in england at all, etc etc etc. I spoke to a very nice chap last night who suggested that I forget about expensive DACs and just go straight from the sound card to a headphone amp, and I think it is a great idea.

So this is my draft shopping list:

E-MU 0404, I considered the Chaintech AV-710 and the M-audio revolution 5.1 but I don't need the surround sound and the E-MO has Coaxial in/out which I find highly desirable. Also considered USB, but, well why bother. I suppose I could get an M-Audio AP in place of the 0404... One box too far?

Headsave Classic, considered going the tangent route but it's too involved, and the headsave is affordable and ready to go. Most others I looked at are mouthwatering but like over 1000$.

Grado SR60/80, whichever sounds better in the shop
smily_headphones1.gif
. I've read mixed reports.

My only specific concerns are noise from onboard sound card, and getting a bad pair of Grados, but I'd appreciate some feedback on how you think these parts will interact etc.

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 6
EMU 0404 smokes everything from M-audio.You dont really need headsave amp or any amp for sr-60/80,they play fine unamped.For the money you better get some better headphones and get an amp later,or get 1212m instead of 0404.

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 6
The analog card of the EMU 1212m (the 0202) requires the digital card as well (the 1010) as it's not really a card, but more of an "expansion" board because it plugs into the 1010 and not the PCI slot.

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 6
If you're going to use Grado's with the EMU cards, get an amp because the volume isn't very loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back