Better Sound Card for better Digital Out for DAC?
Aug 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dikyllis

New Head-Fier
Better Sound Card for better Digital Out for DAC?

is there any difference between sound cards, for Digital Output? I want to upgrade sound card, but am just wondering is there a great improvement on Asus Xonar or M-audio

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 9
Short answer is, if you have an jitter correcting DAC, you could use whatever SC with the optical output. If not, the timing used on the sound card matters, and you might have to spend some $$ to get that. Musiland seems like quite a good value.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 9
I currently have a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, if I got an Asus Xonar, would I see any difference? I mean, I am sending binary code....

Also, I'm getting a NuForce Desktop Icon DAC/Amp. It has USB, RCA, and 3.5mm inputs. Which one would be the best?

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, if I got an Asus Xonar, would I see any difference? I mean, I am sending binary code....

Also, I'm getting a NuForce Desktop Icon DAC/Amp. It has USB, RCA, and 3.5mm inputs. Which one would be the best?

I doubt there is any difference at all. Why don't you get a DAC first then try out with USB/RCA/Optical first? You might like the performance from any of these inputs. Also, your DAC might have a good jitter correction, in which case, buying essence has no advantage at all.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 9
There's a difference for gaming, due to effects processing. On a Xonar, you could used it to encode Dolby Headphone and send digitally. For pure, unaltered music there's no real difference.

As long as you aren't using Windows XP that is...

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt there is any difference at all. Why don't you get a DAC first then try out with USB/RCA/Optical first? You might like the performance from any of these inputs. Also, your DAC might have a good jitter correction, in which case, buying essence has no advantage at all.

I'm getting the NuForce Icon DAC/Amp.

Does it have what you said?

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting the NuForce Icon DAC/Amp.

Does it have what you said?

I am sorry but I have no clue this particular DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back