Better seal on the MDR-EX51?
Aug 3, 2005 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
Any ideas on how to improve the seal? They sound okay, but as for isolation they are as good as an open headphone, even with the bigger tips. All ideas are welcome guys and gals. Tnx.

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 7
I own this model. What is funny is that one day I was in my college library using the computer, jamming away on my iPod and EX51s. The girl next to me grasped my hand and said, "Can you please turn down you music?" WTH, these are ear buds. How can she hear them? Anyways, I found that humorous.

You could wet the tip. Beyond that I have no clue. There is only so much you can do with a single silicon flange.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 7
While good at keeping noise out... these phones suck for keeping sound in

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
I own this model. What is funny is that one day I was in my college library using computer, jamming away on my iPod and EX51s. The girl next to me grasped my hand and said, "Can you please turn down you music?" WTH, these are ear buds. How can she hear them? Anyways, I found that humorous.

You could wet the tip. Beyond that I have no clue. There is only so much you can do with a single silicon flange.

Thanks Usagi. Okay, I'll try that. But I was thinking about maybe a mod or something, like using earplus instead of the flanges.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r
While good at keeping noise out... these phones suck for keeping sound in

I don't know, it just happens to me the other way around. Maybe my ear canals are too big after years of sleeping with earplugs or something
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 7
I posted about this before, but here it goes again...

The best way to improve the isolation out of the EX51s is to do the reverse Shure mod. Just find some orange foamies for the Shure E2s and shove them on there. You might have to struggle a little bit to fit them around the slightly larger driver of the Sony's, but they'll fit for sure.

I've done this mod to a pair of EX51s I gave to my roommate, and it works wonders - not only with isolation, but SQ as well. It tames the sibilance substantially and dampens/controls the bass a bit better. I would go so far as to say they sound very close to the E2s afterwards. If you can get some foamies from a local audio store that sells Shures (or even if you have to order a pack of them online), I highly recommend this mod.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAYTA
I posted about this before, but here it goes again...

The best way to improve the isolation out of the EX51s is to do the reverse Shure mod. Just find some orange foamies for the Shure E2s and shove them on there. You might have to struggle a little bit to fit them around the slightly larger driver of the Sony's, but they'll fit for sure.

I've done this mod to a pair of EX51s I gave to my roommate, and it works wonders - not only with isolation, but SQ as well. It tames the sibilance substantially and dampens/controls the bass a bit better. I would go so far as to say they sound very close to the E2s afterwards. If you can get some foamies from a local audio store that sells Shures (or even if you have to order a pack of them online), I highly recommend this mod.

Thanks Dayta, sorry for the late response. I'll check on the store where I got the EX51s, since they also sell Shure. Sounds like a great idea.

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back