Better quality modem/router for streaming to get better sound quality?
Mar 8, 2020 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chrispyduck1

New Head-Fier
Recently ive turned my attention to my modem/router to improve the sound of my streaming (Amazon HD). I have put on a decent mains cable and an Audioquest ethernet cable and this has improved things greatly. Now, i use the bundled router/modem with my Sky fibre service, are there better quality units out there? And would they be simple to install? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Recently ive turned my attention to my modem/router to improve the sound of my streaming (Amazon HD). I have put on a decent mains cable and an Audioquest ethernet cable and this has improved things greatly. Now, i use the bundled router/modem with my Sky fibre service, are there better quality units out there? And would they be simple to install? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Unless this router/modem is noisy in electrical terms and you keep in on top of your DAC there is no impact on SQ. Streaming services requaires particular bandwidth. If the modem is able to deliver proper download speed there is nothing to improve. One bottleneck may be wifi config but this is a bit different story since it depends on you computer wifi card too.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 6
It depends on the streaming system. Some streaming systems (Plex) re-modulate the compression rate, depending on the network speed available. If the OP is wanting higher quality from a streaming service such as that, then upgrading his network components would result in greater quality streaming.

I'm not sure about Amazon, but almost every streaming service is going to modulate the quality, based on network speeds. That's how they make it work for everyone - not just a few.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 6

A router, a usb cable, ANY of it that transfers data BEFORE your AMP/DAC WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. It is all placebo and snake oil. It is not possible, no not even ‘noise’. It’s 1’s and 0’s. They are checked and rechecked to be correct.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 6
If the OP is wanting higher quality from a streaming service such as that, then upgrading his network components would result in greater quality streaming.

Only assuming one of the follow: the modem/router is providing less bandwidth than internet connection/service can handle currently, the wifi part or modem/router and computer can not handle higher speed transfers. Another thing is the service bandwidth and that can be sometimes increased without even upgrading any network gear. Upgrading network gear without upgrading internet service first does not provide any effects. Secondly some streaming services - at least on mobile devices - lets you keep music offline. Tidal is one example.

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Asl long as your setup can provide sufficient speed to stream your high-quality files at the desired rate, I don't see how transmission methods would influence digital files. Unless you are literally putting your router on top of your DAC and have it actually interfere with it somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back