Better psu than sigma 11?
Dec 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

FOXY

100+ Head-Fier
I borrowed the sigma 11 for some days, and hooked to modedd emu 04040 usb.

The sigma 11 made big upgrade to sound from lm7805 psu.

Is there a better psu than the great sigma 11?

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 26
The now discontinued Tangent YJPS  measures better for noise and has a 4 wire remote feedback option that allows for better precision.
The YJPS is a high drop out design and it takes some compromises to configure the output less than about 7 volts.
It doesn't have nearly the current capacity of the s11. There was no dual rail tracking version of the YJPS as there is with the s11 / s22.

"Better" depends on application. It is a loss that the YJPS was discontinued, it was a neat piece of kit.
I have one configured as a  5.1v psu for a y2, probably very similar to your 0404 application.
It is a very worthwhile upgrade to a tread style psu I was using.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 26
I did my own testing between a sigma and placid bipolar shunt, using different switching loads and various amps, both using the same input voltages & transformers, and loads, etc. Admittedly one is designed to deliver amps and the other milliamps.  The shunt can not hold a light for the Sigma to see by. Check me, but I think the Sigma has an unloaded noise of ~12uA.

In all my tinkering, I've yet to see anything as rock solid as the Sigma. Every aspect works. Voltage that doesn't drift with line fluctuations(provided you spec your transformer properly). Rails that track, which works better than anything else(again, in my limited tinkering) for offset drift. No current limiting. Unless you have a power supply that is built and tuned for a very narrow and specific application, I don't see how you could go wrong with a Sigma.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 26
borbely all fet super shunt, salas shunt V1.2R

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 26
any comparison so far?

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 26
I'm using the coffin minigold to power my D1, its quite nice, most jung type super reguators dont handle higher voltage or current, but this one is a bit different due to using power transistors as the pass devices and allowing the use of higher voltage opamps. it doesnt have any sense/kelvin connections, but works quite well. not much room on the PCB for parts choice changes, but i;ve had good results so far using it for +/-45vout at 1.2A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back