Better Open-Back Cans than AKG K70x?
Nov 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #16 of 21
Answering to the thread title "Better Open-Back Cans than AKG K70x?" as is. HD650 is the only can which is better to me in technical terms. Others are outside of your budget, except HE300 (I just yet to hear it). Your sound sig preference is another question though.

uDAC-2 will drive HD650 fine, just like any other cans mentioned in this thread. Exceptions are AudioTechnica-s, they are much easier to drive. And K701, which is harder to drive properly comparing to HD650.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #17 of 21
I would agree with either the Sennheiser HD 600/650 suggestion, or the K701 (or whatever variation thereof); both are "good" for what you're describing. However, do note that they are fairly different from one another. 

The Denon AH-D2000 will produce more bass, but has a somewhat smaller soundstage (it isn't as bad as some/many closed headphones, but it isn't going to win any competitions with the K701 or HD 600), and recessed mids (V-shape/"fun hi-fi" frequency response). This can be neato or it can be obnoxious, it depends on your preference. The K701, by contrast, will sound thin. The HD 600 less so. I would take the Sennheiser as the "middle of the road" if you're unsure (and they appear to be available from a lot of sources, so you can probably find a seller that will accept a return or exchange for the AKG if you're unhappy (not to imply that the AKG is better or worse; just another option)). 

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
HD-600 and DT-880 (600 ohm) Better than a K701/702 or Q701 ? Well for your hearing peraphs ^^ but many like me will not agree . All on par yeah , and choice will be made by personnal tastes .
Personnaly i am not foud of Sennheiser sound , Denon hum a Boomy bass can (not at all my taste XD) .
DT-880 (600 ohms) just received it today (replaced a DT-880 Pro too much clamping for me) . DT-880 600 are great , but i will not say that they sound better than my K702 . In fact in my system they sound closer to my  K702 than my DT-880 Pro sounded : a bigger soudstage , more depth ,a less congested sound , airier ,  more mediums , less proeminant highs , and less impact on bass  (not very much more impact than my K702 ...) .
And Why not the HE-300 ?

Yes, HD600 over DT 880 (600) and both over K701 certainly is a personal preference, - has to do with the shape of auris externa s. auricula, etc.
As for bass, DT 880 (600) go deeper than K701 - not more impactful. HD600 are a bit more impactful, more fun, -- but not too much, just on the spot. D2000 were fun for a fortnight, but that indeed proved too much. I go back to D2000 once or twice a month, but they are not for me.
For me beyers are more comfortable, - which is individual preference again. K701 are on a par with HD600 - first too loose, second too tight.

I like all these cans to a certain extent, but I cannot justify keeping them, - I go back to k701 no more than once a month. And ultimately I dislike listening to headphones at home, esp. with an amp. I'd rather add Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, gradually sell off the open ones and finally MF V-can, and maybe get a T5P one day. Or just get a T5P.

I have not really considered Hifiman - moreover, I have decided to stick to as portabe and simple setups as possible, retaining as much SQ and comfort as I can, I do not think there is much in Hifiman's stable for me (apart from DAPs).

P.S.
I just typed "honk" instead of "think".
Freudian slip?
Freudian slip in one's third language??

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #19 of 21
Either HD650 or K701 will make you happy, though the latter needs a manly amp than the first I assume. Both are audiophile headphones demanding the best source and amplifier you can afford.

Another option might be...take shortcut and go for LCD 2...but you will miss the experience of the HD650/K701.

In the end, anything you choose among the 3 will make you happy provided your in serious business with them, care them, provide them their right food. Once you buy any audiophile headphone, it is compulsory for audiophile source and amplifier, too!

Welcome to the audiophile world and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 21
Either HD650 or K701 will make you happy, though the latter needs a manly amp than the first I assume. Both are audiophile headphones demanding the best source and amplifier you can afford.

Another option might be...take shortcut and go for LCD 2...but you will miss the experience of the HD650/K701.

In the end, anything you choose among the 3 will make you happy provided your in serious business with them, care them, provide them their right food. Once you buy any audiophile headphone, it is compulsory for audiophile source and amplifier, too!

Welcome to the audiophile world and sorry about your wallet!:D

You are scaring me with the price warning :rolleyes:

Anyways thanks guys for all the feedback. From what I've heard I'll probably get the hd650. Or else maybe I'll risk the he 300. Thanks again!

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:

Just to note, I have a fairly eclectic taste in music, but most of the time I listen to Electronic and Rock. Thanks for any help!

Open back headphones are not always the best for rock. Test it and you will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back