Better in-ear replacement for Sony MDR-EX100? B
May 20, 2015 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

davidrf

New Head-Fier
Hi there, 
 I'm using Sony MDR-EX100 earphones with my iPod and smartphone, and I would like to get something better without spending too much. I got those after several, more expensive earphones broke down in less than 10-12 months (always due to cable issues). Here's what I would like:

- in-ear
- integrated mic and volume control for both Android and iOS
- obviously, better sound quality than MDR-EX100 (I don't think it's so difficult to get that)
- more rock-oriented than MDR-EX100. the more rock oriented, the better
- durable, reliable cables
- maximum price 70$ or so

Thanks a lot!

May 20, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 11
Personally I thought the Sonys sound pretty decent for the price- Off the top of my head from reading around head-fi recently (and I haven't heard any of these so double check reviews for compatability and sound sig),  maybe something like Audio-Technica Sonic Fuel line (ATH-CKX9) or Klipsch R6i or S4i are roughly in your price range.

If you don't mind just Apple-compatible I think the HiFiman RE400 has an iOS version and Logitech Ultimate Ears (though some of the UE ones iv'e read about have rather notorious build quality). Re400 and Ue 600 have partcularly good reputation for sound quality around here, I believe.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Just a quick follow up... I liked those Klipsch R6i in-ear very much for the quality of the sound, but they are terribly built. The left speaker blew up after a few months of non-intense usage. A huge disappointment, I'm afraid to say. I went to the Klipsch website and many people there complain about the nonexistent durability of the product :frowning2: It's too bad, the sound is awesome.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Just a quick follow up... I liked those Klipsch R6i in-ear very much for the quality of the sound, but they are terribly built. The left speaker blew up after a few months of non-intense usage. A huge disappointment, I'm afraid to say. I went to the Klipsch website and many people there complain about the nonexistent durability of the product :frowning2: It's too bad, the sound is awesome.

Oh hey, thanks for followup! Bummer about the build quality, seems to be a pretty constant frustration, even in more expensive IEMs. Did you get any warranty support?
I guess I have been lucky, but rotate through a small collection, don't notice the wear and tear as much.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm 37 years old and in my whole life these are the first earphones that blew a speaker. All the others broke because of cable problems. I would've never thought a thing like this could happen with a 100$ product :frowning2: I bought the R6i on Amazon and I couldn't find any way to get warranty support after only 14 months from the purchase (out of these 14 months I used the R6i for a maximum of 6-7 months, not everyday, about a hour a day). .

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 11
  I'm 37 years old and in my whole life these are the first earphones that blew a speaker. All the others broke because of cable problems. I would've never thought a thing like this could happen with a 100$ product :frowning2: I bought the R6i on Amazon and I couldn't find any way to get warranty support after only 14 months from the purchase (out of these 14 months I used the R6i for a maximum of 6-7 months, not everyday, about a hour a day). .

If you want a truly indestructible IEM, you should look the SE215 in my opinion. Mine's broken because I stepped on it with my protection footwear haha. Also they may have the frequency response that suits your preferences. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Would greatly recommend the Sennheiser CX300-II. My friend has them because of my recommendation after much research, after received there was abseloutly no disappointment. pretty sure that matches all of your requirements..

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 11
  Would greatly recommend the Sennheiser CX300-II. My friend has them because of my recommendation after much research, after received there was abseloutly no disappointment. pretty sure that matches all of your requirements..

I had 2 Senns CX300, one mark I and one mark II. Although the sound was not an straight disappointment, it wasn't great. Not to mention that both gone within 5 months of normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back