Better Headphones then Shure e2c's under 70 $$ ??
Sep 17, 2004 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ProdeeK

Head-Fier
Ok so i have just got my Shure e2c's about 2 weeks ago and i would rate them a little over average sounding (which i hate saying !). But now what im looking for are portable headphones that have better bass and have clearer highs then the shure e2c's. Ive Been Looking at the Sennheiser PX100's and thought that might do it, but want some opinions from other people. Any Reccomendations on What Headphones Might fit me ?

So, What Im Looking For:
Better Bass Then The E2C's
Hip Hop/Rap/R&B Headphones
Under 75 $$
Clear Highs
Comfortable & Portable Headphones

Thanks !

Sep 18, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 11
To my ears, the PX100s are not even remotely close to the E2cs. The bass is thick, and the highs were not clear. I like the portapros (or the PP2s) much better than the PX100s. just my 2 cents.

Sep 19, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 11
PDeek,

I agree that the DT231s are a good choice, but they are not all that portable. The Sony 51 /71 won't work, as they don't handle treble all that well.

PX 100s to me had a nice balance, decent bass and good treble handling. I think the E2c bass is much heavier though, so if you want more bass, the PX100 won't do. If you want more balance, they are a good choice though.

Sharp MD33? Haven't heard em, but run a search on here for reviews. Many like them and think they improve on the bass heavy EX 71 sound by balancing the mid and high range more carefully while still keeping substantial bass. All hearsay though, no direct experience for me with them.

Portapros might also be a good match as suggested.

des

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 11
ath-fc7 is good for consideration. it fit all your needs. the headphone is great for rap because of the deep, impactful bass.

i used the foamy tape they use to tape on the edge of doors to seal the gaps: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...earpadsmod.jpg
now your ears dont touch the drivers anymore, bigger soundstage and more treble details.

after my earpads mod and 100hours of burn in, i find it better sounding the er6i ever will be. it is more agressive and not laidback like the e2c.

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 11
that seems liek the right phone for me. Thanks ! anyone else have any suggestions? and anyone else have any experience with these headphones ?
280smile.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 11
Prodeek,

I have the px100 which I use with my ipod 4g. It's slightly dark sounding and there's ample bass but with the unamped ipod, not very defined bass. I am generally pleased with it and only have a complain in that it doesn't isolate well at all so if you plan to use it on your commute, you may be better off with a pair of canal phones. I am actually thinking of getting a pair of apple-in-ears and use the sony ex71 plugs on them as someone on this forum swears by.

cheers

ST

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 11
I've owned nearly all the phones discussed, but I'm puzzled as to why you went with the E2c. Wasn't it for the isolation and portability? If it was, then you won't find anything like it for the same price.

The DT231 offers no isolation and due to their relatively low efficiency do worse than most on portable gear. Despite the fact that I like the sound of the DT231, I can only recommend it for home-bound use such as PC or general listening.

If a 'thump' is what you're looking for with the sort of character of the PX100, but slightly less detrimentally affected by any sort of outside noise what I can suggest is the Sony MDR-G74SL street styles.

The V6 is the hardy perennial for this type of use as well, although it depends on what you define as portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back