Better headphones than ultrasone pro 900
May 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

noobyguy

New Head-Fier
My brother recently got ultrasone pro 900 and i have to admit they are really good but i want good headphones like that , preferably better. i have the sony xb500 and the m audio q40s so as you can tell i am a basshead i also have the digizoid zo2 amp. i need headphones with really good bass and everything else for under £250 ( roughly $380) but i dont know what to get. i still dont know if i want to get over ear or in ear eadphones but i have researched both and its between the sennheiser ie80s (in ear) and the sony mdr-1r. please if you can suggest better headphones in this budget or recommend the ones i have already seen it would be really appreciated.

May 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 18
I have the Pro900s, and I can tell you that there isn't too much bassier headphones out of the box - you'd need to EQ to get them to the 900s. Similar headphones would be the Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 but they are discontinued, out of your price range (maybe not the D2000s), and very hard to find. I would recommend the Pro900s if you don't think they are sibilant and harsh (which a number of people including myself believe). You won't get a better deal for awesome basshead cans if you don't mind their only weakness/flaw (slightly sibilant and recessed mids). You can listen to your brother's until you know for sure if you think they are sibilant or not. If you don't like them, check out the Sony XB1000, Beyerdynamic DT770 + amp, or Shure SE215 (since you said you might want in ears). 

May 26, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 18
i had the shure se215 and out of the box they sounded just like my xb500, obviously they would get better as i burned them in but i wanted really good headphones so i returned them. my brother owned the beyerdynamics for  a short time but he says that the ultrasones are way better so i don't know if i want to get them. also i kinda want to get better headphones then my brother in the same price range but he did lots of research and found out that there probably aren't any. i have found one that is slighty out of my price range but it might be better the vmoda m100 are £20 above but i dont know if they are worth it but thanks for your speedy reply.

May 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 18
Alrighty so I am sitting here comparing the LCD-2.2s with my Pro 900 and I've got to say that I think I might sell the LCD-2.2s. The Pro 900s are that good! I've had the Pro 900s for close to a year and have not found anything that I like more and I have tried a lot. The Pro 900s are fantastic and I listen to a range of music. If you like the way the Pro 900s sound then buy them, I can't think of anything better. From what you've said in your last few posts it sounds like you are trying to "compete" with your brother. Stop worrying about trying to outshine him, if you are happy with what you hear then why should it matter if you have something better than he does? Don't worry though, I have a sister close to me in age and I have to be better than her in everything so I understand where you are coming from. In my opinion though, when it comes to music, as long as you are satisfied that is all that matters.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy whatever you decide to go with!

May 27, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
My brother recently got ultrasone pro 900 and i have to admit they are really good but i want good headphones like that , preferably better. i have the sony xb500 and the m audio q40s so as you can tell i am a basshead i also have the digizoid zo2 amp. i need headphones with really good bass and everything else for under £250 ( roughly $380) but i dont know what to get. i still dont know if i want to get over ear or in ear eadphones but i have researched both and its between the sennheiser ie80s (in ear) and the sony mdr-1r. please if you can suggest better headphones in this budget or recommend the ones i have already seen it would be really appreciated.

The MDR-1rs aren't really bassy headphones. If that's the sound you're looking for, the Pro 900's are probably your best option in the price range. You could also look at the V-Moda m100's and Denon D600's. What kind of music are you using them for?

May 27, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 18
I've personally compared the Ultrasone Pro 900s with my V-MODA Crossfade M100s. Here's a write up of my comparison:

So today I compared my v-moda Crossfade M-100s with my friend's Ultrasone Pro 900s. I can tell you now that they sound very different. The v-modas have harder bass hits than the Ultrasones. Much more punchy sounding. However, I noticed that the Ultrasones seem to resonate better than the v-modas. The sound from the Ultrasones is more spacious while the v-modas have a much more compact sound. The Ultrasones seem to have more muffled trebles while the they are much clearer on the v-modas. The mids are also more prevalent on the Ultrasones than the v-modas. But like I said, the trebles on the Ultrasones are nowhere to be found. They seem to be buried under the mids and the lows. The v-modas are all highs and lows while the Ultrasones are all mids and lows.

With that being said, I think you will like the V-MODA M-100s if you are looking for something with a harder and punchier bass hit.

May 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 18
i am sort of competing with my brother but i just don't want to get the same headphones as him because i don't see the point in having 2 of the same things especially if i'm paying 200 for them and i don't really want to get worse headphone. i don't necessarily want bassy headphones because i can always add more bass with the digizoid or play with the eq but i dont know if it would be better to  get neutral sounding ones and play with the eq or get bassy ones. The m100s seem good but are they worth the extra £20 even though they are worse in some areas.

May 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I've personally compared the Ultrasone Pro 900s with my V-MODA Crossfade M100s. Here's a write up of my comparison:

So today I compared my v-moda Crossfade M-100s with my friend's Ultrasone Pro 900s. I can tell you now that they sound very different. The v-modas have harder bass hits than the Ultrasones. Much more punchy sounding. However, I noticed that the Ultrasones seem to resonate better than the v-modas. The sound from the Ultrasones is more spacious while the v-modas have a much more compact sound. The Ultrasones seem to have more muffled trebles while the they are much clearer on the v-modas. The mids are also more prevalent on the Ultrasones than the v-modas. But like I said, the trebles on the Ultrasones are nowhere to be found. They seem to be buried under the mids and the lows. The v-modas are all highs and lows while the Ultrasones are all mids and lows.

With that being said, I think you will like the V-MODA M-100s if you are looking for something with a harder and punchier bass hit.

I haven't heard the m100's, but that's not how I would describe the Pro 900's at all. I don't find their treble to be muffled, it's actually pretty sharp. It's the mids, not the treble, that's recessed on the Pro 900's. Are you saying the m100's have even more recessed mids than the already mids light Pro 900's?

May 30, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 18

I haven't heard the m100's, but that's not how I would describe the Pro 900's at all. I don't find their treble to be muffled, it's actually pretty sharp. It's the mids, not the treble, that's recessed on the Pro 900's. Are you saying the m100's have even more recessed mids than the already mids light Pro 900's?

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 18
i am slightly leaning towards the m100s but i don't know if sennheiser IE80s will be better for me. i mainly listen to rap or reggae and i use my headphones for walking so i don't know what type of headphone will be better.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
i am slightly leaning towards the m100s but i don't know if sennheiser IE80s will be better for me. i mainly listen to rap or reggae and i use my headphones for walking so i don't know what type of headphone will be better.

That's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. However, I can tell you that the M-100s are not bulky at all. They are very slim and streamlined headphones. I use them on the go all the time. They're smaller than they look in pictures. Also, you'll get a much better soundstage with over ear headphones versus IEMs. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 18
so i have been deciding which headphones to get and i am leaning towards the v moda m100s but now my digizoid zo2 is broken so i need a new amp as well. i'm willing to spend £300 on both items so the amp should be around £100. i saw this thread where someone compares amps and he said the best one is the JDS LABS OBJECTIVE2 and it is in my budget so i'm wondering if i should get those and the v modas but i don't know. Can anyone help me or recommend anything else?

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 18
I can only speak on the odac (which is the optional dac unit that you can get with the the O2) and it performs very nicely. I'm not sure how the O2 will do with the M100s. How much amping do the M100s really need? The one time I heard them they sounded great out of an iPod and I think that is what they are made for. I'm not sure if they are meant to scale up with a better amp but I could be wrong. I'd ask around.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 18
  I can only speak on the odac (which is the optional dac unit that you can get with the the O2) and it performs very nicely. I'm not sure how the O2 will do with the M100s. How much amping do the M100s really need? The one time I heard them they sounded great out of an iPod and I think that is what they are made for. I'm not sure if they are meant to scale up with a better amp but I could be wrong. I'd ask around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back