better headphones than Audio Technica ath-m50 for similar price?
Nov 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MinestoPix

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, this is my first thread here ... thank you for your suggestions in advance

I'm buying my first "better" headphones, I saw a lot of recommendation for Audio technica ath-m50, everyone said they are the best, until I checked some more and a lot of people say they are overhyped...

So what headphones would you recommend for me, here is what I would use them for:

-I would love to have flat frequency response and for ath-m50 lots of people say that mids are underpowered
-I listen to all kinds and genres of music, but mostly Rock, I sometimes like to relax and listen classic, or at the other extreme glitch-hop; producers like KOAN sound, Opiuo, Tipper...
-Comfort is quite important, because I will be wearing them alot, although sound quality is most important for me...
-Music quality is most important, although I will be using them for movies and for gaming too

I think that's it, thanks again in advance

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 17
Sony mdr 7506 or Sony V6 they are the same headphone internally. Way better for EDM in my opinion I have the M50s and don't like the recessed mids. There are many other better deals Somic, Takstar search here you will find them.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 17
Thank you, but I don't really know what to search for, how to search for it, that's why I asked
Headphones you mentioned, even tho they are very flat, seem to be bad for classic/orchestra and that's kinda not exactly what I'm looking for, thanks anyways

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 17
Just got my ath-m50. I find that the sound they produce hurt my ear. I am no audiophile and cannot explain how. But they seem to produce high pitch also that hurts when listening. Even just listening for 1 1/2 hour my left ear starts having temporary tinitus. Which never happens this quick with my cheap earplugs or portapro headphones. Someone with similar experience here?

Also I was looking to get into electronic music production down the line and I see you recommend Sony instead. Why so? Should I get these returned? I have experienced similar hurt with  other headphones I have tried, and also especially when tinkering with the EQ in general (also with my portapro).... Thank you

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 17
Just got my ath-m50. I find that the sound they produce hurt my ear. I am no audiophile and cannot explain how. But they seem to produce high pitch also that hurts when listening. Even just listening for 1 1/2 hour my left ear starts having temporary tinitus. Which never happens this quick with my cheap earplugs or portapro headphones. Someone with similar experience here?

Also I was looking to get into electronic music production down the line and I see you recommend Sony instead. Why so? Should I get these returned? I have experienced similar hurt with  other headphones I have tried, and also especially when tinkering with the EQ in general (also with my portapro).... Thank you

It is probably the bright highs hurting your ears. Sonys have treble roll off and are cheap and comfortable. Just not as detailed, but not by that much. They would be good all round headphones for listening and monitoring and mixing.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 17
Probably if it is the sound and not the actual comfort of the headphone hurting your ears. But I really don't know all I know is some people are sensitive to bright headphones and the m50s are bright. Maybe try and take them back or sell them and get the mdr 7506 for like 40 - 50 bucks you might like them. And the treble won't be as bright.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 17
ye my friends never believe that I can hear some high pitch noise made by bats. but I also have damage to my right ear. so im not sure what is the problem. but it seems to hurt both my ears.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm a newbie to this audio thing but I've listened to Shure srh440, srh840; AKG k272, k240, Senn. 280, A.T. ATH-M50. I prefer the AKG k272/k240 and Shure srh440/840 because it hits all the highs and lows perfectly. The ATH-M50 are over-rated and yes, hyped up too. Don't waste your $$ on audio-technica.  If you don't like the highs, try Sennheiser.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 17
Use an AMP/DAC with an EQ feature to turn down the treble if you feel it is too sharp; I don't think there is a need to buy new phones just for what you are describing considering how the ATH-M50 are pretty good for the price

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Sony v6/ 7506 have very fatiguing treble IMO. Sennheiser HD-280 are also very bright, but less fatiguing. Don't really know what to recommend for good mids at that price though.

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 17
  I'm a newbie to this audio thing but I've listened to Shure srh440, srh840; AKG k272, k240, Senn. 280, A.T. ATH-M50. I prefer the AKG k272/k240 and Shure srh440/840 because it hits all the highs and lows perfectly. The ATH-M50 are over-rated and yes, hyped up too. Don't waste your $$ on audio-technica.  If you don't like the highs, try Sennheiser.

Yep, try sennheiser.
I now have senns 280 PRO, and compared it with M50. They are more flat, totally neutral. Maybe little lack of bass compared to M50 but overall finest mids and highs.
And, the price is the same or lower for senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back