Better headphones for movie watching?
Jul 18, 2008 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

longie11

Head-Fier
So quite a few nights a week the wife and I watch a movie while the kids sleep in the next room. We're using the ps3 blu ray optical out to a harmon kardon receiver using dolby headphone 1 and y splitter to the 2 hd 555s. Sometimes i'll throw my minibox e+ in the mix ( I know double amping ) and it actually brings the vocals forward and has a little more ooomph overall.

Overall i'm happy but I feel I can get so much better performance overall from some higher quality cans, but most every headphone thread is focused on music performance and these would be primarily movie watching with maybe 10% gaming here and there.

I'd probably be willing to spend 2 to 3 hundred per can if need be but i'd sure prefer less if possible.

Open cans are preferred so we will still be able to hear the kids cry or the child monitor. Thank You

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by longie11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So quite a few nights a week the wife and I watch a movie while the kids sleep in the next room. We're using the ps3 blu ray optical out to a harmon kardon receiver using dolby headphone 1 and y splitter to the 2 hd 555s. Sometimes i'll throw my minibox e+ in the mix ( I know double amping ) and it actually brings the vocals forward and has a little more ooomph overall.

Overall i'm happy but I feel I can get so much better performance overall from some higher quality cans, but most every headphone thread is focused on music performance and these would be primarily movie watching with maybe 10% gaming here and there.

I'd probably be willing to spend 2 to 3 hundred per can if need be but i'd sure prefer less if possible.

Open cans are preferred so we will still be able to hear the kids cry or the child monitor. Thank You

Normally, for a request such as yours, I would recommend the Ultrasone Pro 750's. However, since you are looking for an open headphone, a close second, IMO, is the Pro 2500's. Both are excellent for movie watching as well as for music listening.
I own the Pro (actually Proline, the manufacturer changed the name from "Proline" to "Pro" beginning with this years model) 750. I prefer to not use the Dolby Headphone setting as the sound stage of the Pro 750 is more natural sounding without it, IMO. The Pro 2500 has a similar sound stage but there are some minor differences in the overall sound due to the closed vs. open factor.
If you are not familiar with Ultrasone, check out the links in my signature area.
Good luck in choosing your headphones.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normally, for a request such as yours, I would recommend the Ultrasone Pro 750's. However, since you are looking for an open headphone, a close second, IMO, is the Pro 2500's. Both are excellent for movie watching as well as for music listening.
I own the Pro (actually Proline, the manufacturer changed the name from "Proline" to "Pro" beginning with this years model) 750. I prefer to not use the Dolby Headphone setting as the sound stage of the Pro 750 is more natural sounding without it, IMO. The Pro 2500 has a similar sound stage but there are some minor differences in the overall sound due to the closed vs. open factor.
If you are not familiar with Ultrasone, check out the links in my signature area.
Good luck in choosing your headphones.

So are you a paid shill or just a hobby cheerleader with nothing better to do?

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you a paid shill or just a hobby cheerleader with nothing better to do?

Do you think your insulting question deserves an answer? What interest do you have in attempting to demean my comments. IMO, I speak factually about headphones, nothing more, nothing less. If you find fault with my comments and / or the way that I express them, that is your problem.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Do you think your insulting question deserves an answer? What interest do you have in attempting to demean my comments. IMO, I speak factually about headphones, nothing more, nothing less. If you find fault with my comments and / or the way that I express them, that is your problem.

Maybe it's your sig, or the fact that your post sounds like it's written by an Ultrasone rep. Beyer has a DT-880 based movie system. I like my 580/600s.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's your sig, or the fact that your post sounds like it's written by an Ultrasone rep. Beyer has a DT-880 based movie system. I like my 580/600s.

I am aware of what's in my signature area. The only "items" I place in my signature area are ones in which I truly believe. I am not an Ultrasone rep. I have no associations with Ultrasone whatsoever except I own a pair of their headphones.
I strongly suggest that you read Covenant's comparative review (listed in my signature area). Then, read my thread, "The sound of the..." you will see there were disagreements in that thread and I believe you will also come to realize I am very sincere about my comments.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 46
I personally find most opens to not have enough bass for those "DUN DUN DUNNNNN" moments and makes everything feel too airy in a movie. For music, theyre great, but it just feels wrong to me with a movie. I just got my dt770 for that exact reason, and so far is working well with what you said. Btw, you sometimes get accused of hacking in crysis when you can hear the person long before they get to you lol

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dye1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally find most opens to not have enough bass for those "DUN DUN DUNNNNN" moments and makes everything feel too airy in a movie. For music, theyre great, but it just feels wrong to me with a movie. I just got my dt770 for that exact reason, and so far is working well with what you said. Btw, you sometimes get accused of hacking in crysis when you can hear the person long before they get to you lol

I believe you meant "Dunn-DaDunDunn---DWEEEEEEE!!!!
eek.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 46
No headphones can come close to a properly set up 5.1 or 7.1 system. Bass is bass and you need a big box for that. And tons of clean power.

Getting back to OP, I have Dish HD and HDDVD and like my Senns Dolby off. Have you ever noticed the guy doing the sound has headphones on?

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

I am aware of what's in my signature area. The only "items" I place in my signature area are ones in which I truly believe. I am not an Ultrasone rep. I have no associations with Ultrasone whatsoever except I own a pair of their headphones.
I strongly suggest that you read Covenant's comparative review (listed in my signature area). Then, read my thread, "The sound of the..." you will see there were disagreements in that thread and I believe you will also come to realize I am very sincere about my comments.

a sincere fanboy is still just a fanboy

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 46
I've enjoyed both Sennheiser HD595 and HD650 tremendously in TV/movie use. The latter's soundstage is just right for some nice clip.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 46
I just watched a movie with the open Audio Technica ATH-AD900 I have on loan. It's not bad at all! Great soundstage, great imaging, detailed and the bass is reasonable, better than I had expected. I think its airiness works in its favour when watching movies, because sounds are both clearly reproduced and well placed. It's worth a try I think. I did switch the DVD player to old-fashioned Dolby 2.0, because you lose quite a bit with 5.1 on headphones. But as long as you have headphones with good soundstage and good imaging, it's a very enjoyable experience. AKG cans would also be a good candidate for watching movies. Note to self: watch next movie with AKG K500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back