Better Guitar chops: Stevie Ray Vaughan or Kurt Cobain... ;)
Sep 21, 2008 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
This my sarcastic answer to AdamCalifornia's very odd poll about John Bonham vs. Lars Ulrich.

Answer honestly. Who had the better chops (accuracy, precision). Not asking about songwriting skill. More like, who could perform the best solo, or improvise better. Who played cleaner?

Answer honestly, for respect of these two late greats.

wink.gif

Next post contains a more serious discussion about these two guitarists. I just wanted to catalyze the discussion with absurdity.

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 36
My vote: SRV

Reason: One of the most accurate strikers of a six-string in history. He could do one take of a song in the studio and it would be perfect. Such a genius, imo. My favorite guitarist is Clapton, because he has been such an amazing songwriter for some many decades, in addition to being a pioneer. He also had fantastic chops; among the best. But SRV could play lightning fast licks, improvised, and make every note mean something (take note, shredders). A rare talent. I'm picking him over my favorite guitarist, for best chops.

Cobain was a great songwriter, but his chops were underwhelming. He was nonetheless a better songwriter than SRV, because his music cut right to the soul. He was a great guitarist, because his fractured and simplistic style worked for the music he wrote. Listen to Unplugged, and while his playing was not of the virtuoso variety exhibited by SRV and Clapton in their Unplugged performances, it still meant something.

Chops: SRV
Writing: Cobain

Who's better overall? Who cares?

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to catalyze the discussion with absurdity.

The problem is that the Head-Fi music forum's cup has been running over with absurdity lately. It's a trend that shows no sign of letting up anytime soon.

*Sigh*

--Jerome

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that the Head-Fi music forum's cup has been running over with absurdity lately. It's a trend that shows no sign of letting up anytime soon.

*Sigh*

--Jerome

*Sigh* x2
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 36
SRV. (edited to hide my embarrassing idiocy)

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 36
Ok. Who voted for Cobain? huh?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 36
SRV of course. Anyone using 14 guage E stirngs and supergluing his finger tips back together is my pick anyday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back