Better gaming sound mostly for CS:GO
May 16, 2014 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

hallonpaj

Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to improve my sound for csgo. I feel my headphones lack alot of positioning. Sometimes I cant here people planting or deffing. Thats really annoying.
My setup today is: Cambridge Dacmagic plus and Sennheiser RS180.

Do I need to buy a soundcard to get better positioning? Is it possible to use the DAC if I get a soundcard with Dolby headphone?
Is it possible to bypass the DAC and just use the amp (thats not an option with the RS180's but good to know)?

Thanks

May 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 22
I think the most care-free bet would be to try and use Razer's softwarematic surround virtualizer.
If you are going to buy a soundcard, just about any soundcard supports virtualized surround - but I am not sure if it carries this virtualized surround trough on the SPDIF output - My Xonar U7 does not seem to have that option.

May 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 22
Asus cards has the function to send Dolby headphone thru optical as long the PCM box is checked. It exactly what I did with the DGX to send Dolby headphone to my NFB15.32.

May 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 22
  I want to improve my sound for csgo. I feel my headphones lack alot of positioning. Sometimes I cant here people planting or deffing. Thats really annoying.
My setup today is: Cambridge Dacmagic plus and Sennheiser RS180.
Do I need to buy a sound card to get better positioning? Is it possible to use the DAC if I get a sound card with Dolby headphone?
Is it possible to bypass the DAC and just use the amp (that's not an option with the RS180's but good to know)?

I'm guessing your have updated to the latest software for your computer's on-board audio?

I would assume the best hook up for your current hardware would be.
S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection from the motherboard to the DacMagic.
RCA to 3.5mm cable connecting the RCA (red/white) outputs on the DacMagic to the 3.5mm input jack on the RS180.

If you wanted Dolby Headphone surround sound, get an Asus Xonar DG ($25), Xonar DGX ($35), or a used Xonar DX or Xonar D1 ($60?) sound card.
First disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS,
then install the sound card (and software), then run a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the headphone (line-output) jack on the Xonar card to the 3.5mm input on the RS180.

You do not really have to use the DacMagic.

My personal preference would be to get a Xonar DG or DGX sound card, run optical from the Xonar to the DacMagic and plug wired headphones straight into the DacMagic

May 18, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 22

I'm guessing your have updated to the latest software for your computer's on-board audio?

I would assume the best hook up for your current hardware would be.
S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection from the motherboard to the DacMagic.
RCA to 3.5mm cable connecting the RCA (red/white) outputs on the DacMagic to the 3.5mm input jack on the RS180.

If you wanted Dolby Headphone surround sound, get an Asus Xonar DG ($25), Xonar DGX ($35), or a used Xonar DX or Xonar D1 ($60?) sound card.
First disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS,
then install the sound card (and software), then run a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from the headphone (line-output) jack on the Xonar card to the 3.5mm input on the RS180.

You do not really have to use the DacMagic.

My personal preference would be to get a Xonar DG or DGX sound card, run optical from the Xonar to the DacMagic and plug wired headphones straight into the DacMagic

If I get a Xonar DG, can I still use the DAC or will it remake the Dolby Headphone surround to stereo? Is it possible to bypass the DAC.
Was hoping i wouldnt have to by new headphones.

May 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 22

If I get a Xonar DG, can I still use the DAC or will it remake the Dolby Headphone surround to stereo? Is it possible to bypass the DAC.
Was hoping i wouldnt have to by new headphones.

If you get the Xonar DG, you can plug your DacMagic into it's optical connection (DG>DacMagic>RS180)

Might also try plugging the RS180 directly into the Xonar DG's line-output (headphone) jack, see if there is much of a difference without the DacMagic being involved.

The RS180's base unit takes in an analog audio signal, uses a ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to convert it to a digital audio signal, then the digital signal is transmitted wirelessly from the base unit to the RS180 headphones, then the DAC inside the headphones converters the digital signal back to analog.
So it could be the RS180 is the bigger factor for audio quality, not so much the DacMagic.

May 18, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 22
Just enable PCM in the Asus Panel options and it will send it out of optical Dolby headphone and all to your external dac.

May 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 22
The best of both worlds really, You still be getting the benefits of your External dac while still getting Dolby headphones for gaming.

May 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 22

Will I benefit anything from my DAC then (except the amp)?

You might consider getting an Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card,
The DX/D1's audio processor is a newer revision (improved?) compared to the one used in the DG/DGX.
The DX/D1's CS4398 DAC chip might be good enough so you can hook the RS180 straight to the sound card (DX/D1).

May 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 22
  I'm gonna order a D1. But is it a Toslink cable I should get? =)

The Xonar D1 is PCI, the Xonar DX is PCI-E.

The D1 (& DX) comes with a 3.5mm optical port (Mini-Toslink).
If want to connect the Xonar D1 to the DacMagic, this is the cable to get (length is optional) 
6ft Optical Toslink to Mini Toslink M/M 5.0mm OD Molded Cable

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

If you are going to try plugging the D1 straight into the RS180, use this cable (length is optional)
6ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5577&seq=1&format=2

Here is a "Premium" cable for connecting your DacMagic to the RS180.(Length is optional)
6ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2

With Monoprice you can ordered a lot of cables and the shipping is usually very low cost.

May 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 22
  The Xonar D1 is PCI, the Xonar DX is PCI-E.

The D1 (& DX) comes with a 3.5mm optical port (Mini-Toslink).
If want to connect the Xonar D1 to the DacMagic, this is the cable to get (length is optional) 
6ft Optical Toslink to Mini Toslink M/M 5.0mm OD Molded Cable

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

If you are going to try plugging the D1 straight into the RS180, use this cable (length is optional)
6ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5577&seq=1&format=2

Here is a "Premium" cable for connecting your DacMagic to the RS180.(Length is optional)
6ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2

With Monoprice you can ordered a lot of cables and the shipping is usually very low cost.

Ah yea, didnt see the D1 was only PCI. Any difference over PCI and PCI express for audio?

May 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 22
No it just PCI-E is for those who don't have a pci or free PCI slot in their computers. Usually those who SLI or Crossfire would have to use the PCI-E version. other then that its the same sound card.

May 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 22

Ah yea, didnt see the D1 was only PCI. Any difference over PCI and PCI express for audio?

Technically the PCI-E is a little better, as each PCI-E slot works more independently then compared to a PCI slot.
But I really doubt there is any noticeable different (if any) between the DX and D1 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back