better for rock and pop: AKG K601 or Sennheiser HD580/600?
Jun 21, 2008 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Tiemen

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to try another open headphone for listening to rock and pop music with my Musical Fidelity X-canV3.
Which one will be better: K601 or HD580/600?
Better in the sense of enjoyment, slam, toe-tapping...

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 40
Never compared them side by side, but summarized, I'd say the Senns are thicker and the K601 better.

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 40
Tiemen, 580\600 are better overall, they're classic and very good all-around. Even though some may like k601 more, all-in-all 580\600 are better. And they're better pair for your X-can3.

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 40
Thank you, Nickchen and QQQ for your reply.
Today I purchased an old Sennheiser HD 580. I'm looking forward to hear this headphone.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 40
Hmm, I found the HD600 and 580's to be very dissapointing with rock and pop. I actually prefer my AKG240 studios for rock/pop over my HD600's. But yeah, synergy is also very important.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope you like them.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I found the HD600 and 580's to be very dissapointing with rock and pop. I actually prefer my AKG240 studios for rock/pop over my HD600's. But yeah, synergy is also very important.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope you like them.

Why did you found the HD580 and HD600 very disappointing with rock and pop?

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 40
Some people like a very aggressive, upper mids-forward sound with rock music (and, by the way, I don't think either of those cans have that sound). I have always found more laid-back and, frankly, accurate speakers and phones much easier to listen to with any kind of music. I listen to plenty of rock and pop on my 580s and don't find them lacking.

Tim

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 40
Got my HD580 today. And up till now, I'm impressed. They handle all kinds of music very well. They do rock and pop with enough authority and kick.
I like the fact that the sound is a little dark. Great for digital music.

Just wonder how the HD600 sounds different. I know there are some threads about that, I guess I have to do a little search.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 40
I don't like my HD600 at all and I only listen to rock music. The midrange is way too forward, compressed and nasal compared to my DT770 and K240S. Indeed, the midrange is very "un-airy" if you could call it that. I'd give it a shot of Dristan just to try to decongest it !

So, all in all, I think the HD600 have a tendency to make everything sound midrangey without much extension on the bass or treble side. I think they are better suited for classical/acoustic music than rock. I don't find the HD600 to be accurate at all, maybe accurate in the midrange, but you can't hear what goes on at both extremes, which is a sign of innacuray to me.

I'm looking forward to try K701, DT880 and DT990 to see if they're better and more accurate.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like my HD600 at all and I only listen to rock music. The midrange is way too forward, compressed and nasal compared to my DT770 and K240S. Indeed, the midrange is very "un-airy" if you could call it that. I'd give it a shot of Dristan just to try to decongest it !

So, all in all, I think the HD600 have a tendency to make everything sound midrangey without much extension on the bass or treble side. I think they are better suited for classical/acoustic music than rock. I don't find the HD600 to be accurate at all, maybe accurate in the midrange, but you can't hear what goes on at both extremes, which is a sign of innacuray to me.

I'm looking forward to try K701, DT880 and DT990 to see if they're better and more accurate.

Well, I'm listening right now with the HD580 to "Copperhead Road" by Steve Earle. And couldn't be more happy. Bass, drums, guitars, voice, everything is more than ok.
Don't feel the urge to put my DT770/2005 on.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my HD580 today. And up till now, I'm impressed. They handle all kinds of music very well. They do rock and pop with enough authority and kick.
I like the fact that the sound is a little dark. Great for digital music.

Just wonder how the HD600 sounds different. I know there are some threads about that, I guess I have to do a little search.

Tiemen:

Congratulations on your great purchase!

Get the HD600 grills (~$12) for the 580's and they should sound exactly like the HD600's. This is because the 600 and 580 use the exact same drivers. I know the drivers are supposed to be better matched in the 600's and the frame is supposed to be carbon fiber but it has already been stated here many times, people can not tell the difference between the two when both have the same grills. Most people would also suggest that you pick up the HD650 cable which is also very cheap.

Oh and one quick question:

Which version of the HD-580 did you get the older or newer one??

For info on how to tell the difference check this page out, its explained at the bottom of the page.

FYI: that page will also explain how to replace your grills but you may want to ignore the defoaming instructions until you do your research and decide if that is something you would like to perform.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 40
Well, maybe for pure listening the HD600 can do the trick, but I use headphones to check mixes for my studio and the DT770 are a million times more reavealing in every aspect. I can't EQ, compress, etc. with the HD600 because the differences (with and without processing) are drowned into the midrangey nasal and chunky sound. I find myself reaching for my K240S much more often than my HD600. But for listening, yeah, they can do the trick because they hide so much that everything can be pleasurable IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm listening right now with the HD580 to "Copperhead Road" by Steve Earle. And couldn't be more happy. Bass, drums, guitars, voice, everything is more than ok.
Don't feel the urge to put my DT770/2005 on.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiemen:

Congratulations on your great purchase!

Get the HD600 grills (~$12) for the 580's and they should sound exactly like the HD600's. This is because the 600 and 580 use the exact same drivers. I know the drivers are supposed to be better matched in the 600's and the frame is supposed to be carbon fiber but it has already been stated here many times, people can not tell the difference between the two when both have the same grills. Most people would also suggest that you pick up the HD650 cable which is also very cheap.

Oh and one quick question:

Which version of the HD-580 did you get the older or newer one??

For info on how to tell the difference check this page out, its explained at the bottom of the page.

FYI: that page will also explain how to replace your grills but you may want to ignore the defoaming instructions until you do your research and decide if that is something you would like to perform.

Kejar,

Thanks for your kind advice.
But I like to enjoy this headphone without mods. Maybe in the future, but not now.
So I don't know which version I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back