Better deal for first "good" headphones - $128 Senn CX985 or $216 Westone 3's?
Nov 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PsiPhiDan

New Head-Fier
The title pretty much says it all, but here are the details:

A) This is new territory for me.  I have fairly nice audio equipment in my car and home (lots of Polk Audio - RTi A series in home theater and MM series in car).  I've never, sadly, owned headphones worth more than $20 though.  

B) This will be a Christmas gift, so budget is limited.  The $216 for the Westone 3's is already stretching it.

C)  I'll be listening mostly to metal and rock.  I love bands like Tool, Dream Theater, Leprous, Oceansize, Metallica, Alter Bridge, etc.

D)  I'll be listening to this music from my Verizon GSIII.  Now, I am also getting a mini-micro USB cable and a FIIO E07K (Andes) DAC/Amp to bipass my subpar on-board DAC.  So I'm hoping this will help make these new headphones sing!  Also note that the music files are all lossless.

E)  I'm looking for the best value.  This is ultimately my question: is $216 for Westone 3's worth the extra $88 from the Sennheiser CX985's?  I suspect it is, and the Westone 3's were nearly $300 just a few weeks ago.  But this is where I need your expert help!

F)  If there's an even better deal, I'm open to listening!  These are the two I've picked from my research and price range so far though.

G)  Any thoughts on the FIIO part working with my GSIII?  I've heard people say it works, and some say it doesn't.  I'm sure it depends on the ROM/kernel combination, but I'm not sure which ones work with it.  Any experience on that end would be icing on the cake!  

Thanks guys - this is my first post here but I read things on here constantly.  Great information can be found on this site!

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 12
Oooh. That's a pretty good deal on Westone 3s.

Also - the GS3 has a fantastic inbuilt DAC, doesn't it? (Wolfson?) and as for the amp, I don't think you'll need a Fiio with it for IEM use. 

There are good mods around to increase the usability between the DAC and amp section of the GS3.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 12
The international version has a fantastic DAC, and I believe that is a Wolfson, yes. But the US version, from what I can find, has a lousy DAC. I'd love to be able to save the cash on the FIIO though if it's unnecessary! I'm gonna look for the thread you're referring to. Thanks!

FYI I bought the Westone 3s. There were only 4 left and that deal was too great - authorized retailer and all!

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Haha thanks! I look forward to hearing them for the first time!

On another note, they just dropped in price to $180 on Amazon... I think I'll stick with my price, since Amazon is not an authorized dealer. The $36 is worth it for the two year warranty! But man, $180 for these Westone 3s... What a steal!

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 12
Ouch, that's rough. They won't ship to Australia for decent price?

I'm wondering now, how much will the Galaxy S3 (US version) diminish the quality of the W3? Am I basically required to get an external device to appreciate them, or can I get away with not using a DAC/amp?

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Ouch, that's rough. They won't ship to Australia for decent price?

I'm wondering now, how much will the Galaxy S3 (US version) diminish the quality of the W3? Am I basically required to get an external device to appreciate them, or can I get away with not using a DAC/amp?

I'm pretty sure the Galaxy S3 has a decent DAC - look in Android-fi for advice about getting a ROM that will support audio-related kernals. You can really make the S3 sound and measure great.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 12
I paid over $300 with taxes for my westone 3's over a year ago, thought it was worth it then. for around $200, without a doubt. The sound is amazing you won't be disappointed.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Haha thanks! I look forward to hearing them for the first time!

On another note, they just dropped in price to $180 on Amazon... I think I'll stick with my price, since Amazon is not an authorized dealer. The $36 is worth it for the two year warranty! But man, $180 for these Westone 3s... What a steal!

Amazon.com is an authorized westone seller. I called and confirmed with westone. $180 for W3 w/ 2 yr warranty is a good deal. I picked one up.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 12
I LOVE these! Oh my goodness, my mind is blown. I'm nearly speechless right now... I need to listen to everything I own again to hear what I've been missing!! Thank you Westone and Amazon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back