Better Bass Response: RS-1 or RS-2
Jun 22, 2008 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

manofmathematics

500+ Head-Fier
I absolutely love my RS-2's, more so than I could probably describe, but you darn well know that I'm thinking about the RS-1's. After some reading I've come to two conclusions:

1.) The RS-2's are less colored than the RS-1's, providing more neutrality.

2.) The RS-1's will throw a larger soundstage with more air and better decay.

These two conclusions make it pretty much a toss up as I could trade one for the other. What I didn't come to a firm conclusion about is the difference in bass response between these two cans.

Anyone with any input?

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 21
I disagree with #1. Both are somewhat colored but the RS-2 is more colored to my ears. A bit sharper and brighter on top and much thicker sound in the midbass in comparison to the RS-1's.

I agree with #2 by far. The RS-2 in comparison sounds more like the 325/i, mroe forward, compressed narrow soundstage, very upfront, whereas the RS-1 has really nice depth and soundstage if you feed it a nice naturally miked recording.

Bass could be a toss-up, I am usually happy with most of the grado's bass response even down to the sr60's. The RS-1 bass does have a bit more groove and thump last time I compared them.

This is my experience though, others prefer the RS-2's over the RS-1. Based on your location you should easily be able to audition or loan a set to compare, which I would highly suggest doing so. THe RS-1 has a very unique polarizing sound signature that people either love or hate. You really need to use your ears because impressions appear to be all over the place.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 21
I came up with the first conclusion because from what I researched here, I'd say 80-20 were in favor of the RS-1 being more colored. Of course, #2 is logical by design and agreed pretty much across the board.

I really enjoy the bass response that my RS-2's have, but the 225's I used to have had, maybe not as much of the punch and deepness as my RS-2's, but more of a realistic flow. I think that is what I'm looking for. I think that I'm just going to have to hear the RS-1's. I think you're spot-on recstar.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 21
All Grado's are inherently colored and it's impossible to quantify one model as being farther from neutral than another; although, if anything, the RS-1's would have a less-fatiguing sound signature than the RS-2's. Your second point however, is dead on.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoy the bass response that my RS-2's have, but the 225's I used to have had, maybe not as much of the punch and deepness as my RS-2's, but more of a realistic flow.

If you're looking to bring back a more traditional bass sound, along the lines of the SR225's or some other phones, you won't find it in the RS-1's. RS-1's will have a euphonic, "hollowed" bass sound. Not that it sounds bad by any means, one of the most seductive aspects of the RS-1's is how it handles the bass. But it will still have that unique and rich chambered sound.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

I came up with the first conclusion because from what I researched here, I'd say 80-20 were in favor of the RS-1 being more colored. Of course, #2 is logical by design and agreed pretty much across the board.

I really enjoy the bass response that my RS-2's have, but the 225's I used to have had, maybe not as much of the punch and deepness as my RS-2's, but more of a realistic flow. I think that is what I'm looking for. I think that I'm just going to have to hear the RS-1's. I think you're spot-on recstar.

Unfortunately I wish it was that easy that you could read and summarize with the comments you see here to get an accurate idea of the sound sig, but the RS-1 is just that too unique where I would literally say its 50-50 some hate it some love it. Other cans you can get an idea of how they sound but the RS-1 is just that polarizing.

One thing that should be mentioned - there is some slight variance between different RS-1 types that others and myself have reported. You have the vintage brown headband like I own that came in a wooden box, you have the 2nd gen black headband, and the current gen no button. Take the time to research what has been said, I will say that of the 5 RS-1's I have owned since being here, the 2 vintage sets and the 1 I own now have sounded the best, smoother, no glare up top, and a more linear flowing bass response. The newer ones have a bit of glare in comparison and the midbass is much more pronounced.

The most flowing and linear bass response that I have heard from a grado are the HP1000's, of which I have owned 4 since I have been year (the one I have now is the 4th). It is nicely balanced with the rest of the spectrum and flows very well with the musical message.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

1.) The RS-2's are less colored than the RS-1's, providing more neutrality.

2.) The RS-1's will throw a larger soundstage with more air and better decay.

I agree to both statements however I didn't analyze the decay. What I would say is that RS2's sound more realistic, having no upper midrange coloration which is present in the RS1's. The RS1's soundstage is broader but the vocals and instruments sound blurred to me, overextended, while in the RS2's they have real image. Regarding the bass - I guess the RS1's is more "greasy", less neutral, like the whole sound presentation in the RS1's, which actually sound like refined SR325i's , while the RS2 are "completely different beast", as one head-fier said.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

I'm ordering a pair of RS-1's this week so I can make the decision. Something in me is just hoping the RS-1's win for some reason.

The newest revision of the RS-1, right? For two weeks now I'm torn between waiting (albeit very impatiently) for a very nice used pair to show up in the FS forums, or buy a new one over at Headroom. Right now I prefer the look of the old RS-1, so that's the main bugging factor from letting me purchase the newest revision.
redface.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 21
Yeah, the new ones. I actually prefer the looks of the new version. My RS-2's are the new version and they are beautiful, in my opinion. Also, I like the ability to return/exchange at HeadRoom. Excellent place to deal with. But I'll tell you what, If I had $1250 to just forget about, I'd pick up the vintage pair with wooden box on the FS forum in a heartbeat.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Yeah, the new ones. I actually prefer the looks of the new version. My RS-2's are the new version and they are beautiful, in my opinion. Also, I like the ability to return/exchange at HeadRoom. Excellent place to deal with. But I'll tell you what, If I had $1250 to just forget about, I'd pick up the vintage pair with wooden box on the FS forum in a heartbeat.
biggrin.gif

Haha, I'm so with you there. Yeah, I think I'll wait another week, and if nothing, then I'll buy a new pair. I can't wait that long knowing my new system is being unjustified by a KSC75.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back