Better Bass: amped UE SF5EB vs. UE Tripple Fi 10
Apr 8, 2009 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Freddie_shreddie

New Head-Fier
I listen to metal and rap about 50/50 I have a couple questions. assume the EBs are amped.
1. Do the EBs have better bass than the TF?
2. Can the EBs compare to the TF in the mid/ treble range?
3. Are the EB's too slow for metal or can they keep up?

I am coming from the bose in ear so i think both is a major step up.

Thanks to all that reply.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 17
The UE SF5 EB will have bloated and boomy bass while the UE triple.fi 10 will have a much more detailed tighter bass. If you want alot of bass get the EB's if you want quality natural bass get the triple.fi 10's.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_shreddie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
What is the difference between the TF10 pro and TF10vi

TF10vi has a inline microphone for phones but other than that it's the same exact earphone as TF10 pro.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 17
The vi has a microphone for iPhone and other mobile phones, otherwise they are the same.

What I remember reading about the 5EBs is that the bass seems bloated, but apparently it settles down over time as the dynamic bass driver burns in; some Head-fi'ers really like them after something like 50+ hours.

Something you may want to look at are the Monster Turbines or Beat Tours (possibly the Tours) if you like bass. While I have the Super.fi 5 Pros and TFP10s, and the bass is very good with nice extended treble, the Turbines seem to me to outshine both in a more natural way, and the Beat Tours are supposed to be even better for fans of bass.

There is a thread that includes the following link that reviews both the Turbines and the Beat Tours:

http://playback.avguide.com/issue/18

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 17
Both of my (cheap) amps are warm signature amps (T4 and E3), so I wouldn't dare try either with my Super fi 5 EB's. I haven't tried as it's just not necessary. I reckon at least with T4 it may improve detail, but that's not what I am looking for in EB's anyway.

But yes, EB's are great as niche IEM's once they burn in. Either way it's strengths and limitations should be clear.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE SF5 EB will have bloated and boomy bass while the UE triple.fi 10 will have a much more detailed tighter bass. If you want alot of bass get the EB's if you want quality natural bass get the triple.fi 10's.

Have you even tried the EBs for yourself? The SF5 EBs are some of the most underrated IEMs around IMO. It has quite quality bass and even if you did listen to it, did you burn it in for a good 100+ hours? The SF5 EBs are unique, they are the only hybrid that I know of that has a balanced armature as the tweeter and a dynamic driver for the mids and lows. Once that dynamic driver is burned in, wow, it produces some beautiful bass. Very underrated. Unfortunately, UE products don't fit me well and the seal always breaks, so I had to sell them.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 17
i dont have the tf10's but i do have the sf5eb's, and they are pretty high quality. i think alot of the perceived bloat has to do with trying to drive them without an amp (or perhaps due to burn in).

i know they don't require an amp (25 ohms) but they do benefit greatly from one. i get much better performance from my duet hp out than from my ipod, most noticeable in the bass registers. it may be possible that there is a set of iem's that have deeper bass (atrios, x10's) but i haven't heard that used to describe the tf10's. i am happy with my bass, and if i were to explore another iem i would look to the atrio m5/m8's.

on the other hand, they are quite noticeable and a little ridiculous looking. i don't have an issue with the in ear seal but some do, it makes a huge difference for the perceived bass.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of my (cheap) amps are warm signature amps (T4 and E3), so I wouldn't dare try either with my Super fi 5 EB's.

i just ordered the t4 for my 5eb's, why do you say you wouldn't dare use them with the 5eb's? i am hoping the t4 really compliments this iem and makes it good for portable use... let me know your thoughts...

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 17
The EB do seem to tighten up a bit with an amp, but my experience with them is that the mid bass was the most obvious in the spectrum.. sub bass was still quite lacking and underwhelming.

Aside from that, they look ridiculous.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from that, they look ridiculous.

I do have to agree with that one.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 17
TF10 have a lot of bass imo, and they drive pretty well without an amp.

Can only imagine the added bass on the EB
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by downrazor11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just ordered the t4 for my 5eb's, why do you say you wouldn't dare use them with the 5eb's? i am hoping the t4 really compliments this iem and makes it good for portable use... let me know your thoughts...

Well, the thing is that T4 is a slightly warm amp (though still relatively flat) and I wouldn't want to add more warmth to already very warm EB's. Not to mention that I see a distinct possibility of hissing as EB is pretty sensitive.

......buuuut, I just gave it a try. And yup, it does help a lot with detail, retrieving bit more mids which is its biggest weakness. Also helps with soundstage massively as it does with other phones, making it even more clubbish, which is good! But my fears were also true, as it did hiss a bit with the T4 and made the overall presentation more warm and added bit more to bottom end, which I didn't need. Whether the trade off is worth it is up to you, but either way you'll be pleased with your purchase of your T4.

But I still wouldn't dare touch my bass-heavy E3 with EB's. Heh.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......buuuut, I just gave it a try. And yup, it does help a lot with detail, retrieving bit more mids which is its biggest weakness. Also helps with soundstage massively as it does with other phones, making it even more clubbish, which is good! But my fears were also true, as it did hiss a bit with the T4 and made the overall presentation more warm and added bit more to bottom end, which I didn't need.

hey thanks for trying that out for me! i assume you were listening with the bass switch off, correct? i have such a noticeable degradation of bass integrity through the ipod vs the duet that i think the amp will be necessary with these iem's. despite the majority of negativity towards the 5 eb's i really am happy with mine (except the look, but i painted them tan with model paint so there's less of a 'What is that coming out of your earhole' response).

anyways, to the original poster, let us know how you like what you get, specifically how well it satisfies your needs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back