better amp than Headroom Micro w/ DM for $300 or under?
Feb 8, 2007 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there a better amp than the Headroom Micro with Desktop Module for $300 or under? (used or new)

Right now, the HR Micro is leading the pack. I still need to decide what cans to put with it, but I like that it has adjustable gain for use w/ a variety of headphones. I'd want something that can drive the big boys (AKG's, Senns, etc.) so that I'm covered if I decide to go with harder to drive cans from those companies.

So far the other contenders are:

new Little Dot Micro Tube - around $200 shipped
used RSA Hornet - around $300 (if I can find one)
Portaphile PA2V2 - $250 plus shipping (with dc jack)

My needs are something that isn't too large, something that is transportable from one room to another, but not necessarily portable, and something that can drive a variety of headphones w/ different impedances. And killer sound quality (of course
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Perhaps a used XP-7...it's little big but it sounds very sweet...very close to HR-2 with AD797 opamp. It's not portible...but it's transportable. If you don't mind little bigger...used X-Can V2 is a killer amp for the price, especially if you can perform a simple cap/diode replacement mod, along with some Russian tubes.

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 9
I think one of the Darkvoice amps is appropriate to try...tubes that seem to be considered working far better than the amp is sold for.

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 9
My HeadRoom Micro amp (with Desktop module) drives *any* of my cans easily on just medium gain, with power to spare -- on high gain, it is overwhelmingly powerful -- I have no cans now or before that would actually *require* high gain on that little powerhouse.

So, it will certainly drive the "big boys" as you wondered.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Interesting, I wondered the same (if anything $300 or less that's better than the HR Micro with desktop module), but I also included potential DIY projects. This greatly increased the number of searches done and pages read... and I still haven't come to a final conclusion! =T

-rob

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wondering about this, too. How does the Little Dot Micro Tube compare to the HeadRoom Micro?

I think Jamato8 or Mrarroyo tried the two and said that the Little Dot Micro Tube was the winnder on a number of levels. The main drawback for me is the fact that tubes are hot, and there wouldn't be any option for using batteries, and no gain switch for using w/ different headphones.

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Jamato8 or Mrarroyo tried the two and said that the Little Dot Micro Tube was the winnder on a number of levels. The main drawback for me is the fact that tubes are hot, and there wouldn't be any option for using batteries, and no gain switch for using w/ different headphones.

It does have gain switches but they are internal. Here is a pic (click on the thumbnail to make it full size):

As far as the sound I do prefer the Micro Tube and at $200 MSRP for the upgraded unit it is a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back