Better Amp or DAC?
Oct 23, 2006 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dillon157

Head-Fier
The title pretty much says it all but I had a couple of questions.

1. If you had to pick, would you say that sound quality is more enhanced by a good DAC or a good amp (if you only had one or the other)?

2. If your system included an amp and a DAC, would sound quality be maximized by better amp than DAC or better DAC than amp?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 6
Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm really curious and have only heard vague responses. Is it just a matter of opinion?

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dillon157
Is it just a matter of opinion?

Yes it is, but there is some logic to it.

Your system is only as good as its weakest link. The source (DAC) provides the input signal. Your amp just reproduces it. If your DAC is low quality, then your amp will reveal the limitations of your DAC. If your amp is low quality, and your transducers (headphones) are low quality, then you aren't hearing all the quality of your DAC. If your DAC is high quality, but your amp is straining under the load of your headphones, you'll cripple the sound too.

Don't underestimate the quality of your music too. The best system in the world can't make a bad recording sound good. If anything, a good system will reveal the quality of your recording as bad.

So the correct answer to your question is: make sure your system is balanced, fix the weakest link first.

My opinion:
I'd spend money on headphones first, followed by a decent source (DAC), and make sure my amp has enough juice to electrically power my headphones. I'd be happier with a Micro DAC, into a $80 amp such as a Electric Avenues Pocket Amp, than a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage ($30) into a $300 amp.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 6
I also think it comes down to balance and synergy more than anything else. After all, a chain really is only as strong as it's weakest link.

That being said, if I had to upgrade one before the other, I'd probably go for the DAC. It sorta follows the source first theory.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dillon157
The title pretty much says it all but I had a couple of questions.

1. If you had to pick, would you say that sound quality is more enhanced by a good DAC or a good amp (if you only had one or the other)?

2. If your system included an amp and a DAC, would sound quality be maximized by better amp than DAC or better DAC than amp?

Thanks in advance.

1. dac is the only way to improve sound qality, all else is just a matter of portraying hte information the dac gives in a better way.
2. my system includes both. i'd rather have a dac upgrade than an amplifier upgrade right now. now, that doesn't mean you can hook up a 30K dac and a headfive and call it a good rig.... a poor amp has the capacity to diminish the quality of the sound produced by the dac.

amps, however, do play a part in "driving" a headphone, so a clean, well built amp would improve the headphone's performance.
i strongly agree with the above statement about the weakest link.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Those are all perfect responses. Thanks for clearing that all up guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back