Beta22!
May 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #16 of 22
How would I resolve the situation if it becomes an issue (aside from having it right down near the PCB)? Additionally, what failure mode should I be looking for regarding the issue of the additional assumed inductance presented by the additional lead length?

I didn't think it would be an issue, since the alternative is a burnt board, and that sucks pretty hard.

May 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #20 of 22
I doubt I'll be running speakers at the beta22's rated 50WPC--my 208WPC (measured, Sony rated it at 100WPC) Sony TA-F6B amp (which I repaired/restored) is rarely used past 1WPC according to the meters, which, when relating to the volume knob, translates into 9.30~10 (with zero existing at 8 o'clock) before it gets too loud to hear the doorbell.

I will heed the warning about beefing up the heatsinks on the ground channel and apply paste when I start using speakers eventually.

May 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
AMB? Since this is your baby, what do you think?

Those resistors don't typically get hot.  If you use metal oxide resistors as recommended, then they should be relatively "flame proof" because they tend to increase in resistance when they blow, reducing the current through them.  If you are paranoid about burning the board, it's ok to space it up a bit, but there is no need to get that high -- they could bend and short circuit against the heatsink, mosfets or other parts, and there is indeed an increase in lead inductance.

May 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
Those resistors don't typically get hot.  If you use metal oxide resistors as recommended, then they should be relatively "flame proof" because they tend to increase in resistance when they blow, reducing the current through them.  If you are paranoid about burning the board, it's ok to space it up a bit, but there is no need to get that high -- they could bend and short circuit against the heatsink, mosfets or other parts, and there is indeed an increase in lead inductance.

Noted.

I'm off to Europe later today and I'll redo the resistors wen I get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back