Beta22 power wiring question
Apr 7, 2009 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alwayshungry

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
My beta 22 build is going pretty well and I'm looking to finalize the wiring for the power. I'm using dual sigma 22s but also need to wire up a 3rd toroid to power my attenuator (Joshua Tree).
I'm planning on using an unlit bulgin power switch. I assume I need to hook this up to a relay but how do I wire it to turn on 3 circuits (the 2 for the sigma22s and one for the other toroid)?

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 7
If your Bulgin switch is only rated at 50mA then you will need a relay powered by a latch that is powered all the time. One example of a latch would be the epsilon24 power switch driver from AMB. The relay is to switch the 120/240V mains power between the inlet and the torroids.

http://www.amb.org/audio/epsilon24/
http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/ <- where you see the "switch" is where you could put the relay.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 7
If your switch is the one in the link then it's momentary so if you want to use it then you'll need a relay to hold the power on.
Yes you can have a relay that is both powered by mains and switching mains and the Bulgin will turn it on but how will you turn it off?
I am unaware of a relay that senses a momentary switch to both turn on and off, and I have looked.
I am referring to a mechanical relay with a hold circuit, the hold circuit will need to be made "open" to release the relay to turn off.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 7
This was something that I worked on for a while with mine. In the end I went with a picaxe08M controlling everything.
I also feed back the + and - power rails on the Sigmas through optocouplers to the picaxe. If any power rail drops out it will flash an error code on the LED in the Bulgin switch.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your switch is the one in the link then it's momentary so if you want to use it then you'll need a relay to hold the power on.
Yes you can have a relay that is both powered by mains and switching mains and the Bulgin will turn it on but how will you turn it off?
I am unaware of a relay that senses a momentary switch to both turn on and off, and I have looked.
I am referring to a mechanical relay with a hold circuit, the hold circuit will need to be made "open" to release the relay to turn off.

You could use a latching relay and use one of the poles to reverse the coil polarity each time it switches, but it's prone to bounce.

If you can, buy a latching version of that switch. It's rated for 5A @ 250V, which should be lots, and then you don't need to worry about circuits and all that nonsense. This is what I did with my B22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back