Beta22 as headphone amp and preamp
Apr 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
Bit of a noobish question, i'm sure! I'm working on a three channel beta22 at the moment, using all the standard component values from the site (gain 8). If I want to use it as a preamp too, is it as simple as having a switch to choose between the headphone output and output phono sockets?

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 9
You don't even need a switch.

You can use a switch to either disable headphone output, disable preamp output, or to toggle between them, but that's up to you.

I do not have any switched on mine and I use it as a full-time preamp as well as headphone amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 9
I've built a 3 channel B22 as a preamp connected to a gainclone. I started out with 8X gain but found that it was too high. Normal listening volume is only at 7-8 o'clock on the knob. Unless you plan to use very inefficient headphones, i suggest 5X gain instead.

As for switching between headphone and preamp, I used a switched 1/4" headphone jack. Just unplug the headphone and it will be in preamp mode.

There is a diagram on wiring the B22 as a preamp under "other options" at the amb website.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 9
And remember, the ground channel is connected only to the headphone out. The ground connection on the pre-out should be connected to signal input ground to prevent grounding issues. I have yet to correct this mistake that I made on my B22
rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 9
nkd: if you use input selector use shorting one or otherwise do not switch grounds. Like ivant said 8x gain is to much for most instances as a preamp.

I also have a question regarding preamp/headamp combination. I plan to use 5 board configuration: 4 boards for balanced + 1 boards for active ground for SE headphone output. The question is: what to do with gain differences between balanced and unbalanced? As I understand in balanced gain gets doubled. 2x gain for each board will get me 4x in balanced and 2x in SE. Would directing signal from SE input to two boards for output (SE L in > board L1(2x) + board L2(2x) > SE L (4x) output) solve the problem?

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by qkizz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nkd: if you use input selector use shorting one or otherwise do not switch grounds. Like ivant said 8x gain is to much for most instances as a preamp.

I also have a question regarding preamp/headamp combination. I plan to use 5 board configuration: 4 boards for balanced + 1 boards for active ground for SE headphone output. The question is: what to do with gain differences between balanced and unbalanced? As I understand in balanced gain gets doubled. 2x gain for each board will get me 4x in balanced and 2x in SE. Would directing signal from SE input to two boards for output (SE L in > board L1(2x) + board L2(2x) > SE L (4x) output) solve the problem?

Arranging the board in parallel configuration don't increase gain. Also, shorting the B22 outputs is not a good idea.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Before you worry about gain difference between balanced and unbalanced, you need to know what the output levels are for each of these types of sources you will use. Some sources let you change the default balanced gain, either via a switch or jumpers (because there is really no "standard" for this for consumer grade audio).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back