Beta Brainwavz - {REVIEW}
Jan 17, 2010 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

brendon

100+ Head-Fier
First off, thanks to MP4Nation for providing me a testing sample.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is one earphone that really needs a thorough burn-in before you can listen to it.

Just out of the box, I would not pay over $5 for them. They were extremely sibilant with harsh treble.

Many users of the Beta Brainwavz recommended a good 100 - 150 hour burn-in. I dont have an exact estimate on the number of hours I have burned the earphones but its between 100 - 120 hours and true to what people have said, the sound has improved quite a bit.

Specs.

Driver: 11mm CCAW (copper-clad aluminum wire) dynamic driver
Impedance: 24 Ohm (+/- 20%) @ 1kHz
Sensitivity: 110dB @ 1mW
Frequency response: 8Hz – 28kHz
Cable: 125cm, Y-style, 45° angled 3.5mm gold-plated plug

The specs seem rather optimistic. No one can hear anything below 20 hz and no one can either hear anything above 20 khz either !

While the impedance is normal, its sensitivity is rather high @ 110 db which makes them very easy to drive earphones. Unfortunately the high sensitivity causes hiss in certain mp3 players and the player used for this test - Amp3 pro 2 caused a lot of hiss to be heard which was noticeable on any quiet passages in a song. Other mp3 players will produce a lot less hiss as the Amp3 is well known for causing hiss with high sensitivity earphones.

Packaging and Accessories

Accessories: Silicon tips, foam tips, shirt clip, fishbone winder, screw-on filters, earguides, soft velvet pouch

dsc03757i.jpg

Wow ! Lots and lots of ear-tips for a $29 earphone ! I am very happy with the amount of accessories given and would give it a 4.5/5 as I cannot think of anything missing other than a hard case. But the soft velvety pouch does a very good job so its no big loss.

The Beta Brainwavz came in a very nice box but unfortunately the local post office treated the package rather badly and I received a smashed up box when I received the package so I cannot post a picture.

One note on the eartips - They are not standard eartips, i.e. most of the tips wont fit any other IEM. The double flange tips are the only ones that fit other IEMs like the Hippo VB and Head-direct RE1.

Build Quality

The build quality is very good for a $29 earphone. Better than my earlier earphones in the same price range (Soundmagic PL-30, Soundmagic PL-12, EP - 630).

The driver housing is made of some good quality plastic with an aluminum nozzle. There is an added mesh to screw on the nozzle to make the sound less bright.

The wire is very nice and doesn't tangle very easily. The jack is angled at about 45 degrees and seems to be well made. I can see these earphones lasting a long time despite my rather rough usage of earphones.
redface.gif

Here are some pictures of the earphones -

The earphones

earphonesfull.jpg

earphone1.jpg

Without metal filter

withoutmesh.jpg

With metal filter

withmesh.jpg

Inside metal mesh

wiredmesh.jpg

singleearphone.jpg

earphone2t.jpg

Fit and Comfort

This part of the review is highly subjective mainly because everybody has different sized ears. I use the double flanged tips and the single orange tips. Both tips give a very good seal. I did not use the foam tips as they generally get very dirty since my ears generate a lot of wax.

The comfort is above average and I can listen to the earphones for hours which is a testament to their comfort and fatigue free sound.

In any case given the large amount of tips, I am sure finding one that fits your ears perfectly wont be very difficult.

The cable unfortunately very micro-phonic, transmitting a lot of noise to your ear-buds. However I used the ear-guides to wear the earphones 'over the ears'. Over the ears, micro-phonics is a non issue.

Sound Quality

As mentioned above, a thorough burn-in is highly recommended before listening to them.

The source used was an Amp3 pro 2

The music used to test the earphones were

Queen - We are the champions
ABBA - Lay all your love on me
Westlife - Cant lose what you never had
Mr Mister - Broken wings
Eyes on me - Celine Dion
Roxette - Come back before you leave

Now using the earphones without the extra mesh makes the sound very bright and I did not like it so the entire review was with the mesh attached.

Bass - These earphones do not have an exaggerated bass nor are they bass light either. After hearing earphones with lots of bass like the Crossroads Woodie and the Hippo VB (both 3x the price of the Betas) the bass on the Betas doesn't extend as low. The bass felt adequate for tracks like ABBA - Lay all your love one me and for Westlife - Cant lose what you never had. However for Queen - We are the champions the bass seemed a bit flat and lacking the depth to render the drums properly. The bass was tight and controlled which is commendable for budget earphones. Its very different from the boomy bass of the EP-630 that is in the same price range.

Mids - Pretty good mids for the price. They wont fight it out with the lush mids on the Crossroads Woodie 2 but the slightly warm sound signature makes most voices smooth and easy to listen too. One nice aspect of this earphone is that it renders badly recorded tracks with gusto. Other than the test tracks which are either FLAC or 245 kbps VBR files, any 128 kbps music played sounds pretty good while my Head-direct RE1s would make those trakcs impossible to listen too. It handles male vocals better than female vocals. Another thing to note is that most of the singers sound a bit 'nasal' compared to my other phones.

The Beta's have slight sibilance with some tracks. In the test tracks above only Mr Mister - Broken wings had a sibilance issue. That said the sibilance was not overpowering and I could still enjoy the track.On the other tracks, sibilance was not an issue.

The mids are slightly recessed leading to bit laid back sound as opposed to a forward sound. This leads to a less engaging but fatigue free sound.

Treble The Betas dont have a rolled off treble like most earphones in this price range have. That said it does not extend as much as say the Soundmagic PL-30. However the treble also does not sound very harsh after the burn-in so you can listen to music for hours without becoming fatigued.

Compared to my other earphones like the Hippo VB, the VBs treble is slightly harsh and after an hour my head starts ringing slightly. So I happy that these earphones dont cause fatigue. These are not very detailed earphones but they are very close to earphones that cost 2x the price which is very commendable since most budget earphones lack much detail.

Soundstage There is a very noticeable soundstage but its more wide than it is deep. It competes very well with the Hippo VB and Crossroads Woodie 2 in this regard. It was more than sufficient for me and compared well to the PL-30. The soundstage was much better than say the EP-630.

Overall sound A rather commendable performance. They have a rather balanced sound without any major weakness. Most budget earphones have one or maybe two weaknesses. For e.g. I found the Soundmagic PL-30 to be bass anemic and the PL-12 to have very little treble and detail even though it had decent bass and a nice midrange. The Betas however have decent punchy bass, a slightly warm smooth midrange and a decent treble without much harshness. i.e a rather balanced sound.

So if I had only $30 to spend would I buy these ? A definite Yes !

However now there are tons of good earphones at this price range that you could also check out like the Soundmagic PL-30 and others which have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 17
Great works.Brendon, The price of Beta Brainwavz is really very competitive, I want to know who is the maker? It seems you didn't mentioned. I am very curious to see if they have other phones for exploring.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great works.Brendon, The price of Beta Brainwavz is really very competitive, I want to know who is the maker? It seems you didn't mentioned. I am very curious to see if they have other phones for exploring.

They are rebranded VSonics by Mp4nation

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for your comments guys. I had no idea who was the actual manufacturer. Thanks for pointing out that they are re-branded VSonics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 17
is the nuzzle size fits Sennhaiser/UE or Westone/Shure ?

becuase while the headphones seem absolutly usless for me, im quite interested in the tips that came with it,

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 17
eek.gif
recessed mids?! unless we got two completely different phones the mids are in no way recessed. The Brainwavz have a (imo) terrible problem that the upper mids have a big hump, causing especially female vocals to come blasting directly at your ears as oppose to sitting back into the rest of the soundstage, but because the lower mids aren't forward it makes them appear extremely flat and lifeless, very boring..but not recessed.
Nice review though, good pics
icon14.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 17
Wow, very thorough review. Thank you for it. I am quite impressed by the variety of tips that come with it. Thanks for your work!

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for all your comments.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe my phones were not burned in completely or I am used to the very forward mids of the Woodie 2 that I feel they are recessed ! (Unfortunately I dont have any balanced reference earphone/headphone to compare with.
frown.gif
)

Regarding the tips, I have tried the traffic cones tips and I can confirm they don't fit other earphones like the RE1s and Woodies.

However the foam tips & bi-flanges do. Its debatable about how well they fit but I had no problem with the fit with either the traffic cones or the biflanges. I did try the foams and they also fit no problem but I did not try them at length. The biflanges are the best tips I have ever used with awesome isolation and comfort !

However judging by the rather substantial fit issues with the traffic cones (And considering my ear canals are smaller than most) I really cant recommend you get these purely for the tips as there is a good chance they wont give you proper isolation.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Hey guys, is this a special verison of the Brainwavz beta? Didn't now that they feautured metallic housing.

It looks like it is. It doesn't look anything like the one on mp4nation.

On another note, mp4nation has a special going on right now - preorder the FiiO E17, get a free pair of these. $139.50 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back