Beta 22.... Outdated ?
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LeMat

100+ Head-Fier
After several years away from the head-fi world, I'm getting back to my headphones ... and I'm craving for more. Let me explain:
My LCD2 (first version) stopped working. I had them repaired and upgraded by Audeze (they're nice but the customer service is far from "straightforward"... a tedious process, anyway...) and now have the latest version of the LCD2. I told to myself "ok, let's see how they compare to the former version".
Started straight out of my Macbook using Audirvana.... wow ! lot more precise and spacious with a significantly improved stereo effect. Trebles were a bit harsh and edgy though.
Ok, let's see how my Beta22 (3 boards, fed with a NAD M51 DAC) can improve on this.... well it did but I was shocked by how less transparent and less spacious it was. The trade off was not worth it...
If a Macbook sounds more transparent than a Beta22, there is something wrong IMO. Therefore I'm wondering what else can I get ? I' ve spent countless hours building this amp but I guess it is now outdated....
Am I wrong to assume that the latest amps on the market are now blowing the Beta22 out of the water ? Auralic Taurus, Pathos Aurium, Chord Hugo, Phonitor 2, other ?
Thank you !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back